CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Joel Chapman

Profile:
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have been on a strict zone plan of 16 blocks for 5.5 weeks. I must admit that it hasn't been fun the last week and a half. I've felt like I was starving and light-headed, and my whole day revolved around trying to gut it out until I could eat my next snack or meal. I also began to feel tired and run down a bit. I took two extra rest days and felt a bit better.

But, I can't argue with results. I just got skin fold results from an experienced technician. I'm at 176.5 lbs @ 6% body fat. Plus, I continued to improve my performance in my WOD/5X5/WOD/rest program.

Now what?

I want to gain muscle mass now. I've read differing opinions. Some say to add extra fat and keep the PRO and CHO blocks the same. Others have suggested adding total blocks.

Please, I need some direction!

Thanks,

Joel

Old 04-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
MORE FAT
MORE FAT
MORE FAT

You need more fat to improve your overall daily health at this point (and improve your workouts). You felt better after the rest days because you weren't burning up all of your food for exercise fuel. You'll soon feel bad again after returning to workout unless you up the fat.

I'm 176# and about 6% BF as well. My initial bodyfat loss was progressed and then maintained at 17-18 blocks/day and normal fat, until inevitably, my performance eventually crashed. Then I upped the fat to 3X. That helped immensely. No weight gain from that though, I actually think I was still getting leaner.

Now that I've decided to gain some more muscle mass, I made the jump up to 22 blocks at 3X fat. My performances are still strong. To be honest, I'm still waiting to see some scale results.

FWIW.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Hows this, I'm on 12 blocks with no concern for fat blocks. I was 135lbs in January, I now weigh 156lbs and am fairly lean if I were to guess my bodyfat I would aim high at 8-12%. I'm never starving and that includes the rest days when I do intermittent fasting. So as Garrett, a much smarter man then I has said add fat and be not afraid of it.

Oh and if it helps, I RARELY ever run or cycle or perform long duration endurance activities.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
Joel Chapman

Profile:
Okay,it sounds like adding more fat is in order. What about the number of PRO and CHO blocks? Should I increase these as well? I'm at 16 now, and feel like if I could go to 18 it would really make a difference as far as being able to add another 2 block snack to the day. Should I just add one variable at at time? Fat first, monitor for a week, then maybe add blocks if warrented?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Joel,
At this point, it is likely that upping the fat will allow you to maintain your current body weight and return to the levels of performance you've become accustomed to before your "crash".

Adding the fat blocks and getting used to that while observing your bodyfat and performance would be prudent.

If you'd like to gain weight, adding blocks would be in order, most likely staying at the elevated fat multiplier. One approach is to figure out the bodyweight and bodyfat numbers you are shooting for, then figure out the blocks that would be necessary to maintain those numbers, then start there.

I added the fat, noticed that I felt better, then decided I was ready to add some mass. So I added 3-4 blocks and kept the fat the same. I believe I'm slowly starting to gain.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
Joel Chapman

Profile:
Great, thanks a lot Garrett. That sounds like a good plan!