CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
Joseph Nichols

Profile:
Re: Why am I considered underweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
When I was gaining weight, I ate 8 eggs, 6 slices of bacon, 2 glasses of whole milk, a piece of fruit and a handful of almonds for breakfast.
You one-upping bastard. lol
Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Nichols View Post
You one-upping bastard. lol
Haha. I just found it much easier to get a large chunk of my caloric needs out of the way first thing in the morning so I wasn't fretting about it later on.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Assuming the gain was muscle, not fat, you'd be stronger.
Really? I'm not convinced this is always the case, as I think some CrossFit workouts do actually promote sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (e.g. Grace, or that 20 rep push jerk workout that came up on May 20). Especially true with the huge number of pullups that CF includes.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 06-12-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
Eric, or anyone else, on the topic of whole milk. I've considered myself unable to handle regular whole milk as I started out doing full GOMAD when I did my first SS cycle. Would it be beneficial to me to try it again, starting out at perhaps a glass a day and slowly increase the volume? Or am I just screwed in that regard? Full GOMAD wreaked havoc on my bowels but I've never tried smaller amounts of non-lactose free whole milk.

Gaining weight without the calories from whole milk, for me, is out of the question.
Yeah, easing into it couldn't hurt. Introducing a gallon or a half gallon right away puts a lot of stress on your digestive system. You could try taking some digestive enzymes or probiotics, or going with raw or goat milk if your money situation allows it.

Quote:
Eric, you give skinny guys like me hope. I, too, can do a lot of pullups and run fast. My 400's are sweet. I actually just had 4 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, and 2 glasses of whole milk, along with some blueberrys. That's a typical breakfast - is that really not enough to sustain weight gain and wods? My lunches and dinners are even larger. I also snack, healthily.
If you're a hard-gainer you have to eat til it hurts. When I put on most of my weight I was eating as much as I could 4 times a day, drinking a gallon of whole milk a day, and went through 30lbs of Sunbutter in less than two months. By my rough estimates I was getting somewhere between 6000-7000 calories a day. Find a way to get more olive oil, coconut milk/oil, and nut butters into your daily intake.

Also, I checked your log and only saw about 7 or 8 strength workouts in your 24 posts (some of which included more than one day, so maybe 28-30 workouts) so it looks like you're only doing strength work about 25% of the time. Looking at your current numbers you've got plenty of potential for quick gains if you put a little more focus on strength. If your affiliate doesn't include enough, put your own 3x5s or 5x5s in there two or three times per week before the WOD. Ask your trainers if you can see their programming a week or more in advance so you can deconflict your strength work with what's coming up later in the week.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
Steve Kaspar

Profile:

who says you're underweight?
6' 175... lets see, mark spitz was 5-10 pounds lighter than you. carl lewis was 3 inches taller, but the same weight. linford christie was 2 inches taller and 5 pounds less. 3 world class athletes here.
lance armstrong, is 6' 165. not a bad athlete either.
so who said you're underweight?
if you waqnt to be 300# then you got a way to go.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Quote:
I'm 6 ft., 175 lbs.

Been doing crossfit for 1 month, now:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...316#post780316
I have seen no increase in weight, though, a marked amount of results;
I'm up to 4 muscle-ups, 26 deadhang pullups, and I've kept my 5k sub-19mins.
Judging by my log, I'm obviously not the strongest guy in the world.
Goals aside, why would I be advised to gain weight when I would suffer in other areas?
Because gaining weight is a trend sweeping through the CF world right now? Your bodyweight should support your goals. It is easier to get stronger by adding bw but plenty of weight class lifters manage to do it without gaining weight. The best advice you'll ever get: You should drink 2 gallons of milk a day directly from the teats of huge skull-crushing valkyrie women who qualify for manhood status at 70's big dot com while abandoning all other pursuits in life other than SS.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #17
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I didn't read all the responses, so sorry for a repeat

I like to think of strength as the most important part of fitness (opinion don't kill me). First of all, I am not strong, but I want to be. A strong person can finish a endurance task (26 pullups, 5K) but slowly. An endurance guy, can finish the above faster. But given a heavy rock to pickup, the strong guy can and the endurance guy probably can't, time isn't an issue he just can't.

By the way thats an opinion, don't flame me to much.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #18
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Eric, you give skinny guys like me hope. I, too, can do a lot of pullups and run fast. My 400's are sweet. I actually just had 4 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, and 2 glasses of whole milk, along with some blueberrys. That's a typical breakfast - is that really not enough to sustain weight gain and wods? My lunches and dinners are even larger. I also snack, healthily.
If you're not gaining weight, then it's not enough. Pretty simple, actually.

Katherine
Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #19
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Really? I'm not convinced this is always the case, as I think some CrossFit workouts do actually promote sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (e.g. Grace, or that 20 rep push jerk workout that came up on May 20). Especially true with the huge number of pullups that CF includes.
Please produce an individual who has gained 10-20 pounds of muscle without increasing their maximum lifts. Until such an individual appears, it's a purely theoretical argument.

Katherine
Old 06-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #20
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Please produce an individual who has gained 10-20 pounds of muscle without increasing their maximum lifts. Until such an individual appears, it's a purely theoretical argument.

Katherine
I never said sarco would cause 10-20 pounds of muscle. That's like a life-changing amount of muscle. I'm talking about a half pound or so of sarco in the biceps, triceps, traps, etc. from the hundreds of pullups that CF recommends each month.

Also, what about professional bodybuilders? Certainly every pound of muscle that they gain does not come with an accompanying increase in their strength. Which is why bodybuilders are not the strongest people in the world.