CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #21
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: My 1st month with a better diet and CF! Next 6 months!

Yeah it's hard when you're a noob to the whole fitness thing. I mean you have so many different people telling you what works.

I do CF because I like the intensity and the feeling of having my butt kicked after a workout.

But, as you all know, there's a lot of criticism about CF out there and one of the ones I've read over and over again is that it won't really help you get that ripped body in the end unless you were already ripped before.

Now, I'm not really wanting to look ripped actually. I just don't want to look pregnant anymore! lol

So criticism or not I'm going at it and giving it my best shot. Besides when I go to the gym I don't just do the WoD. I do the WoD and then some strength training (like squatting, DL'n or bench press) because I play rugby and need that strength. Or I do some tabata's to work on my endurance.

So yeah, CF isn't all I do in the gym, but it's the main part of my workout and the driving force behind my workouts.

But like I said. It's hard when you're new and have found a system you like and then you other people telling you it won't give you what you want. Ya know?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #22
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
But, as you all know, there's a lot of criticism about CF out there and one of the ones I've read over and over again is that it won't really help you get that ripped body in the end unless you were already ripped before.
I guess it depends on your definition of "Ripped." I was thinking of Ripped as low body fat, lots of definition, which you can DEFINITELY get on CF. I think the criticism is that CrossFit won't make you HUGE unless you were huge before, which I more or less agree with (yes yes I know you can eat more and do CFSB, or other hybrids. You know what I mean. I'm talking bodybuilder huge).

But whatever, man, I say you're over thinking it. Keep the diet dialed in, hit the CF workouts hard, stop listening to the naysayers, and I'm pretty damn sure you'll be happy what your body turns into (and you'll definitely be a more formidable rugby player). I mean, damn, you've seen Jason David's testimonial. I don't think there are many dudes that would mind looking like his most recent pic. But if after 6+ months you decide that you need to be more jacked, or have bigger gunz, or whatever, then you can start listening to the T-nation guys instead of us. But one thing at a time. I personally think that the poor results are produced when we arm chair quarter-backs dilute the programs of experienced coaches by "mixing and matching" different stuff that seems pretty good to us.

Remember that you've got a few decades to work with here.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #23
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Yeah I understand what you're saying. But I don't think throwing in some additional strength work twice a week (no more than twice) or a tabata for endurance is going too far off the beaten path. I think a lot of CFers do some extra work anyway.
And if a WoD is a strength WoD, then I don't really need to do extra strength work.

Gotta get my deadlift higher than 200 pounds, my bench higher than 215 and my squat higher than 225! Those are weak for a guy my size!

But you're right. I do overthink everything. I'm just going to keep doing the WoD's with my little bit of extra work and report back a month from my original post and hopefully every month after that with pics. Hopefully I'll see a difference!
Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #24
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I've been warned about overtraining. But I don't think strength training 2x a week and throwing a tabata on after each WoD is overtraining. I need the extra strength training being a forward anyway.

I can't wait for summer 7's. I'm going to run circles around these guys!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #25
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Just wanted to say Way To GO! after your most recent posts. It's been barely a month, and you sound like you're having great results and feeling a lot better about CF, yourself, and everything else. Excellent!

Katherine
Old 03-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #26
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Thanks Katherine.

I put on some jeans today that used to be way to tight and *shock* they fit! Whoo-hoo.

My weight is still hanging steadily between 255-263. But, my wife commented that my shoulders and arms look more defined. I hope that when I post my 2nd month photos I'll have noticeable changes in size! I should've measured when I took those photos, oh well!

So the weight isn't exactly flying off anymore, but the performance is getting better everyday and I'm looking more toned. I imagine that gut will be the hardest thing to get off and the last thing to go.

I don't think my diet needs to be retooled though. I'm eating so much healthier than I did before. I'm not eating junk food and processed carbs and sugar EVERY meal like I was before. My lunches and dinners (i generally IF in the morning) consist of meat and vegetables. And I get a protein shake in before bed. I don't think I need more calories (i'm getting between 1800-2000) so we'll just see what happens!