CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #71
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Re: # Grams of Fat per day in Healthy Diet??

Oh, forgot...the cholesterol question. My cholesterol is great (165, with good hdl and ldl #'s). Was just wondering about ya'll's.

Really, when I think about it, one reason I asked about this is, because, I have always been very healthy...energetic, good bloodwork, rarely even catch a cold, and my arteries are completely clear (I had a scan this year). Most people think I'm 8-10 years younger than I am. OK, so, you get the general picture.

Since I'm obviously doing something right, I want to be cautious as I make small changes. I'm more of a "in moderation" kind of person! And hence, the curiosity about how ya'll do it and how your health is.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #72
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

My personal take is that extreme low-carb (in the 10-15% range) works very well for many people here, but it is a big step to ask someone new to dietary introspection and analysis to take. Zone-style proportions have been shown to work extremely well for many crossfitters, including those who placed in the top of the Games, and it's a good place to start. It is, as you've noticed, much more well-rounded than the typical high-carb/low-fat "healthy" diet that many Americans (like you) are accustomed to, and it won't give you dietary whiplash.

As many have said, the lower you can get your carbs and the higher you can get your protein and fat, the better. But the ultimate goal here is longevity - unless you know you can take it, don't push changes on yourself so extreme that they might push you right off the wagon. Better, in my opinion, to start off somewhere rounded, get comfortable, and gradually change your proportions from there until you feel it click.

That said, if you think you can do it, go ahead and jump in the deep end - you know yourself better than I do.

And yes, 1.5k cal/day seems way too low for an athlete.

Last edited by Daniel Olmstead : 08-08-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #73
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Daniel, you are a smart guy. I like what you have to say.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #74
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny Guang View Post

Ok, completely off-topic now:
Rachel, that is an ill avatar you switched out for the prom dress. How many kilos are on that thing?
LOL not much, only like 59. I was a total wreck for my c&j in that meet!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #75
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
sorry for the separate thread..couldn't figure out how to enter another quote in the same posting...

Yea Rachel, I figured as much (lack of us vegetarian hybrids here). I really have to make the effort to get protein, and sometimes I fall short.

I eat lots and lots of seafood (was checked for mercury last year, as a routine blood work-up...none showed up), and cheeses (mostly cottage cheese, which is really high in protein).

Usually I'll pile a huge amount of cottage cheese, and a little jam, on my whole grain toast in the morning. And that alone is more than 20 grams of protein. But, yes, without that cottage cheese, I fall short.

Been tracking my food in fitday since last week (same time I discovered CF), and I am getting 80-90 grams of protein per day. I'm aiming for the upper end.

As for veggie burgers...I'll eat them once in a while, but they're not my favorite. Oh, except for the ones I can get at a couple local restaurants, which are awesomely surrounded by hamburger buns, and all the normal burger fixings...dripping with sauce and deliciousness!!
Well that's not too bad! I was worse off when I started -- no fish, but I gave into that. I still eat a TON of fish (Seattle = SALMON!!!!), and supplement with protein powder and cottage cheese, as well as eating meat maybe once a day. I think a pescaterian zone is much more doable than a vegetarian zone.

But your breakfast isn't too bad, even with the grains. Most of the people on here will say grains are death. Some people can handle them, some can't. The least processed the better, but I don't avoid grains like the plague like some do
Old 08-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #76
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Daniel, I'm no math whiz, but, I believe what you're suggesting is a very Zone-ish 42/28/28 %. I'm confused, as I thought that most people on here are saying that it should be weighted more in protein and fats, and much less on the carbs.
Yes it would be that % if it was calculated with grams and not what % of CALORIES from each, which is what the ratio should be. Fat is much higher calories/g that's why zone blocks are 1.5 (or 3) g for a fat block, 7g for protein and 9 for carb...

If you figured out the calories of 100g fat, 100g protein and 150g carbs, then work out the % you will find them to be much different.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #77
George Mounce

Profile:

This thread continues to break down the walls. Down with worrying about cholesterol! Up with eating real food, lots of fat!