CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
Margo Fullingim

Profile:
Critique needed...

Hey all...

Some info about me:

I've been crossfitting for about 6 months now. I eat mostly paleo. Here is my fitday link

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...rshorse%5Ffool

I'm F/5'2"/34/120#/19.5%bf. Right now a typical week of workouts consist of SS on Mon, Wed & Fri and a WOD with some skills training on Tues and Thurs.

For the last couple of months i've been trying to shed the last part of that stuborn fat that refuses to go away. I've dabbled with zone, low carb and ended up with mostly paleo. As you can see on fitday my average daily intake is around 2000 calories, I've tried to decrease it just to find that my energy and performance levels decrease. Even at 2000 calories i'm often hungry. For my size that many calories seems high to me, so i'm reluctant to increase anymore.

I've done a lot of searching here on the forums... and I know that there is a wealth of knowledge out there. Please if you have the time take and look and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
Margo
Old 07-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Critique needed...

Margo;

Good job on Fitday and I like what you're eating ratio wise, as I tend to prefer low carbs.
I'm also SS;ing, but resting T/Thu, so while your extra WODs might hinder your SS gains, I think it's no big deal and works for you.

My ONLY comment might be to reduce your cals somewhat, but man, I really think you have it dialed for age and activity levels, so I know dropping below 2K makes you hungrey, what else is there, except increasing your workouts, or maybe you're not logging everything, though your log looks very complete.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to here, but I you have your WOD's working, along with tight diet(alot of fat and protein), then calories qty is it by default.

Hopefully some others will chime in.

Just keep at it, one week at a time.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

everything youre eating seems fine. the best advice i could give you is get "enter the zone" and follow it. theres no better combo than zone and paleo. maybe IF but i havent tried that and dont know much about it.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Margo;

I disagree about the Zone. It's basically a calorie restriction diet with alot of hassle in WAM.

Do what you're doing, keep loging into fitday, reduce a tad.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

also disagree with zone comment.

Not that I don't think the zone is GOOD, but it's good for people whose diets are terrible. Portion control.. food choices etc.

Where you are now is great! your diet looks solid to me. I know exactly what you mean however. I have similar caloric intake to you, and am also only 5'2 and feel that I eat a lot for my size. However, I still feel hungry often and sometimes have bouts of 'uncontrollable nut eating'.

So no advice really.. I wouldn't mind being slightly leaner myself, but I don't want to be hungry (also, my weight itself is fine so don't need to lose..) Annoying situation! just wanted to empathise.

How did you get that bodyfat measurement by the way?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Laura Kurth

Profile:

That is meticulous logging... I see you ate Half a green bean on the 14th... lol
Old 07-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Margo Fullingim

Profile:

Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate your time ;-)

Jay - I certainly was hoping for something other than dropping calories. Perhaps a food that i'm eating that could be triggering the plateau . Such is life. Dropping calories might be what I need to do however.

Jakub - I have zoned before. I was doing the 10 and then 11 blocks. This unfortunately was not enough food. The way I'm eating now is pretty much in zonish meals, in that I'm eating fats/pro/carbs in the same sittings. I tend to be on the anal side of WAMing as it is, so that isn't an issue either.

Laura - the 19.5bf% was obtained from a local gym. They have a Tanita TBF-310 scale http://www.healthchecksystems.com/tbf310.htm (WFS link). I can only hope it's somewhat accurate. My home scale shows me at 28% which I'm hoping isn't accurate!!!. Man you were really checking out the fitday log. I was trying hard to cut back on carbs that day ;-). Too funny. So you are in the same boat as me as far as hunger goes huh? What does your workout schedule look like?

Thanks again for the input guys,
Margo
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

hey margo, usually I do crossfit 4-5x per week but am cutting down a bit right now as I am training for a charity bike ride.

I too find the zone too low calorie and not enough protein for me. I don't want to eat 2oz meat for my dinner lol
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
Margo Fullingim

Profile:

Jay -

According to your fitday logs I'm eating roughly the same amount as you are and more in some cases. If you don't mind me asking - are you hungry? What is your height & weight. It's sounding like lowering my intake and giving myself a couple weeks to adjust to it are the answer.

Thanks again,
Margo
Old 07-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
Margo Fullingim

Profile:

Laura -
You said you are 5'2", are you roughly the same weight also?