CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:33 AM   #11
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Kind of makes me want to do a Tri again (last time 1984)...nah!
Old 08-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #12
Jeff Kilpatrick

Profile:  
http://www.totalimmersion.net/tri-camps-p1.html

If you have not seen this you may want to check out the drills in the book and DVD (or a seminar). I have had it recommended to me by numerous people who swear by TI for triatholon training as I prepare for my first
Old 08-27-2005, 06:47 PM   #13
Jeff Kilpatrick

Profile:  
Eugene - I would like to know more (great post above by the way) about combining events to prepare for a triathalon (sprint) and WOD s. Do you keep doing the WODs and combining them the endurance stuff? I have read some of the posts you wrote specifically referring to mountain biking, but swimming, running and biking is a lot to add and I definitely do not have a great plan laid out. It is more like do Wods, add the others when I can with the event still 6 weeks away...
Also Somehow I missed your TI reference until after I posted above....
Old 08-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #14
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
My first warning is that the benefits of CrossFit training directly effect the triathlon distances up to and including Olympic distance (1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run) but are not enough alone to improve your times in half Ironman distance and above. Doing an 8:30 Helen was of little comfort during a recent 13.1 mile run off a 56 mile bike after a 1.2 mile swim. For the long races you absolutely must train long.

However, at Olympic distance and shorter CrossFit training is directly helpful. You don't want to do CF training to the exclusion of your swim-bike-run work of course, but it augments your multi-sport work perfectly. For a sprint race the connection if even greater and a sprint tri is very CFesque.

I will assume a sprint distance race of a 600 to 800 meter swim, a 13 mile bike and a 3 mile run as most sprint races come in that flavor range. As the race name implies you really have to hammer this race to be up with the winners. Speed/endurance is your ticket to medals/fast finish times and the combination of CrossFit to develop a nuclear powered CV system and frequent technique practice to develop efficiency is the path you must follow.

Combining CF with your multisport training is easy to do especially for sprint races. Pick your weak sport, generally swimming, and make sure you do more of that than whatever your strength is. You HAVE to get to your bike sooner. Let's say you swim at 3 mph. Consider how much distance is being put on you while you are going 3 mph and the faster swimmer is on his bike going 20 mph. If you also have a slow T1 you are really getting gapped. Take a few minutes off your swim and T1 and you will improve your placing dramatically. Shoot for 4x weekly in the pool if possible, not less than 3. Work on drills to reduce your stroke count and improve your efficiency. Swimming faster is more a product of skill development than fitness improvement. Swim Power by Steve Tarpinian and Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin are your best swim resources.

I do CF MWF with a hard workout at 0500 with some SWAT buds and a lighter version of that same workout at 1700 with some neighbor women and others that come to my gym to train. I swim TTH at 0500 (I have other posts with the swim workout design) and run or bike in the afternoon. On Saturday I do a long bike or run and on Sundays I generally run if I biked on Saturday and vice versa. I add a few rides through the week in the evening on my Computrainer and sometimes plod along for a couple hours while I watch a movie or hammer a Spinervals workout (www.spinervals.com or www.coachtroy.com. Excellent bike training on a stationary bike trainer).

I adjust the workouts we do so that I follow the general CF philosophy, but not exactly the same workouts prescribed. This morning for example we did:

Run 400
21 Swings with 52 lb KB
15 Slams with a 25 lb D-ball
9 Pullups

Run 400
21 Snatches (total) with 44 lb KB
15 Wall ball shots with 20 lb Dynamax ball
9 Pullups

Run 400
21 Deadlifts with 140 lbs on Hex bar
15 Ring dips
9 Pullups

Run 400
21 Push press with 75 lb barbell
15 Power cleans with 95 lb barbell
9 Pullups

I did it in 14:40 and though longer than Helen it didn't smoke me as badly. Great workout and a lung buster to be sure. I will cut the weights a bit for the afternoon group but I want the same format and reps.

Have I answered anything or did I just blather? I love this topic and can talk about it a great length just for fun without concern about how helpful I'm being. Please gave me a list of questions if I have been inadequate here.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:57 AM   #15
Jeff Kilpatrick

Profile:  
No blather - all very helpful. Thanks for responding - it reinforces some of the things I have been doing, I know i need to get in the pool more often, but hearing it is good...
Old 09-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #16
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Here goes....

Big day is tomorrow, so thanks everyone for your input and i'll let you know how it goes!
Old 09-03-2005, 04:30 AM   #17
Stephen Reeks

Profile:
Go hard mate
Old 09-03-2005, 05:54 AM   #18
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I've always considered competing in a triathalon..and the sprint distance sounds right up my alley. I'm going to look into some of the resources posted for some more info.

Good luck :D
Old 09-03-2005, 11:08 AM   #19
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Okay.....Triathlon done.

Just got back from A&E.....i kid you not!

Swim went fine, bike was flying, about 100m into the run, felt something go pop in my left ankle and some pretty agonising pain!

Managed to finish the dang thing by hobbling to the line in a time of 2hours and 1 minute.

Luckily there is no fracture, but the doc said i have a grade 2 tear of a ligament at the front of my ankle. I just hope i'm back to some degree for the seminar!

Good news is.........we still beat the other gym because we annihialated the bike!

Old 09-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #20
David Easton

Profile:
Damm mate sounds nasty!!