CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #1
Erin Louden

Profile:
CrossFit Undisclosed, Al Udeid AB, Qatar, reaching out to the CrossFit Community

For the Mods, I reviewed the CoC and didn't see anything prohibiting a fund raising post. If this is in anyway violating the CoC, I apologize, and will remove immediately.

Now on to my message...

We here at CrossFit Undisclosed, Al Udeid AB, Qatar are reaching out to the CrossFit Community for assistance. Our members are primarily military or DoD civilians deployed or stationed at Al Udeid. In an attempt to help CrossFit Undisclosed grow and develop into a fully functioning box (I use this term loosely since we don't even have a building), I came up with the idea to start a crowdfunding site. My hope is that through this fundraiser we will be able to raise enough funds to acquire much of the equipment that we are lacking and maintain our box going forward.
In short, our box is located on an Air Force base near Doha, Qatar. I go into further detail on the site explaining what we are and why we are seeking your help. When you get a chance, please visit the link below and consider donating, no donation is too small!
If you are a military member, I heavily encourage you to donate. As we in the military know, this is a very common deployment nowadays and there will probably be a day you will be able to take advantage of what those who came before did to make it better.

If you have any questions, please ask away...

http://www.gofundme.com/CrossFitUndisclosed
Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
John Kaupp

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Undisclosed, Al Udeid AB, Qatar, reaching out to the CrossFit Community

Erin,

I designed a bar with military and people with limited equipment in mind. Click on my facebook link (WFS) in my signature. Let me know if you would like the specs on making one or more (probably more cost effective that way). I call it the KDEE bar (kettlebells, dumbbells, everything else). Send me a PM or message me on facebook.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
William Garrett

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Undisclosed, Al Udeid AB, Qatar, reaching out to the CrossFit Community

Erin,

Im not sure what avenues have been explored up that way, but what type fo roadblocks are you running into when getting equipment/space funded for the gym there? Are people attending the BAC (Base Advisory Council) groups? Top 3 meetings, Chief's meetings, EFSS meetings, filling out ICE/comment cards etc? If so, what replies are you recieving and feedback from the organizations?

I have been down the road at Al Dhafra for the majority of the past 12 of 16 months deployed twice, and we have no issues here in regards to the box "Crossfit Sprung" with equipment. Its not the largest place, but we have the capacity to get the job done.

My suggestion, and I have seen it in the past is find someone with some "rank" in your community, and have them articulate the problem to senior level leadership somewhere up the foodchain with a proposed plan in hand, and see what happens. Persistance most likely will pay off. Most these people dont like problems brought to light without a proposed plan. I have been at 2 places like this so far.

I find it highly unsatisfactory (no pun to you) that the military cannot fund/equip locations like the Died properly, and leave it up to someone like you to seek outside help/funding. Very sad state of affairs.......

Good Luck, feel free to message me if you would like.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Less than a year ago there was a successful fundraising effort for a Rogue Infinity rig to be sent to Al Udeid. What came of that?

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=82754 (wfs)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Erin Louden

Profile:

John,
I'll have to check your link once I get off tonight, it's blocked here at work. Thank you for the reply!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Erin Louden

Profile:

William,
We talked in depth today over Microsoft Lync and you had some great ideas/suggestions. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
Erin Louden

Profile:

Christopher,
Yes, the Rogue fundraiser was a huge success. I got here well after that project so I wasn't sure where it originated from, I had just heard that the rig was donated. You can actually see it in the background or being used in several of the pictures on CFU's Facebook page. It's actually the "jewel" of CFU! We use it in the vast majority of our workouts.

This fundraiser I have set up now is to fund the "little" things such as: wall balls (and hopefully the wall ball attachments for the rig), jump ropes, bumper plates (CJ and snatches aren't as easy when you can't drop the weight if needed), Wod clock (just had a member of CFU donate one), and any other equip that we are lacking. We actually have a Wish list up on our webpage.

http://www.crossfitundisclosed.com/p/blog-page.html

Last edited by Erin Louden : 03-11-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Louden View Post
Christopher,
Yes, the Rogue fundraiser was a huge success. I got here well after that project so I wasn't sure where it originated from, I had just heard that the rig was donated.
Great! I checked out your Facebook photos, and that is just downright awesome. Ryan Walton was the airman who started the fundraiser, and Matt Stine of CrossFit Aledo basically paid for the whole thing.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

Keep harping on the FSS to provide more equipment; they have the funding. Encourage everyone (even non Crossfitters) to submit ICE forms to ask for bumper plates, etc. There's no reason at all that a base like Al Udeid shouldn't have a great facility when much MUCH more forward locations are decked out .

Also, get creative with your equipment. Ask CE to build some plyo boxes, build some heavy sandbags, get MRAP/ HMMWV tires from vehicle maintenance, etc.

You mention "reaching out to the CF community" for help but what about your own community? You seriously can't be asking the rest of the world for donations while you all sit back and take in the money? A typical membership back home would cost about $100/ month. If you had every member of your box donate just that, I'm sure you'll easily reach your fundraising goal. You could also set up a local competition and with a small entry fee to help fund new equipment.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
Erin Louden

Profile:

Steven,
Thank you for your input. After speaking with William, he provided some good info on the ICE program for me so that is an avenue we are going to attempt.

As for helping ourselves, our box has gone to great lengths in this department. Someone from CE built us about 6 benches for bench press, we have several plyo box that were constructed before I began. We have gathered many different tires from aircraft as well as the larger vehicles. Prior to the rig donation, someone fabricated a small pull up bar. We have acquired Connex's to store our equipment in. We use Jerry can's filled with sand for farmer's carriers.

Basically yes, we have gotten very creative and done much to get where we are. The problem is the items we can't fabricate, ie: bars (to replace when they break), Wall balls, real jump ropes, bumper plates, ab mats, wod clock (just had one donated), etc... We aren't just sitting back as you have suggested. We have engaged FSS on several occassions to no avail. This fundraiser wasn't a means for us to "take in all the money". It was an attempt to seek the help from a tight nit community that usually comes to the aid of other CrossFitters. As well as, reach out the military community that is able to take advantage of CrossFit Undisclosed, because I'm sure as you know, we can not use official military channels for these purposes.

We also can't do any kind of official fundraiser on the base since we are not an official Private Org. There are definitely pro's and con's to becoming a private org and at the moment the con's outweigh the pro's.

Thank you for your reply,
Erin