CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
Bernd Lippert

Profile:
Fitness root cause nutrition or physical limit/conditioning?

So I have noticed that since late January I am getting less fitter. On my Wodify scores I did register some PRs on the weightlifting portion but nothing to run home with. If I look at my overall score against the box I am in the last 5 or so in my gender class.

I first thought this was due to lack of sleep but got worried when I was e.g. unable to even hold on for my leg raises for more than 2 repetition - which was not a problem last year. I further started to question my progress when I started to fail to complete simple WODs due to being just too tired (out of breath and muscle feel like jelly).

I have approached my instructors and they mentioned I should look more careful at my diet. The biggest diet change from last year is that I am off the Whey Protein, Creatine and occasional carbo drinks. I really want do this without supplements as the quality of supplement we get here is of serious bad quality. I am following a paleo based diet and have regular meals during the day and get plenty of water. I have experimented with my portions but to no avail.

My question is how do I determine if my lack of fitness is due to nutrition, rest or a physical conditioning (?) issue?

I am 33 years old and weigh in at about 81 kilograms and about 1.75m tall. Generally I do not feel tired during the day but also do not feel much stronger when doing anything fitness related. I do not think it is a mental issue as I really want to do all the movements and really look forward each second day on a WOD. I have tried doing a WOD everyday in the hope of "hardening" up but I felt like hammered **** during the weekend and could not continue the next week with the same routine - no matter how much sleep I get in. At one time I had to take a 4 hour mid-day sleep just to feel halfway charged.

Please help
Old 02-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Fitness root cause nutrition or physical limit/conditioning?

Tell us more about your diet and workout habits. It sounds like you are underfed and working out too much.

Could be too few calories. It's easy to under eat on Paleo. Have you lost weight?

Might be too few carbohydrates. Easy to be low carb on paleo and some people don't do well on a low carb diet.

I bet it's one or both of these. Take three weeks where you eat a bunch more (either more total or more carbohydrates) and I bet you'll start feeling better. If you don't then you'll know it's something else.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
Bernd Lippert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Tell us more about your diet and workout habits. It sounds like you are underfed and working out too much.

Could be too few calories. It's easy to under eat on Paleo. Have you lost weight?

Might be too few carbohydrates. Easy to be low carb on paleo and some people don't do well on a low carb diet.

I bet it's one or both of these. Take three weeks where you eat a bunch more (either more total or more carbohydrates) and I bet you'll start feeling better. If you don't then you'll know it's something else.
I have not really actively measured myself. Overall I have not noticed my body fat reduce by much - I still have a decent amount of belly fat and fat around my chest and legs. My better half tells me I am getting trimmer, and some areas are showing more muscle but like I said I did not notice anything overwhelming. In fact my belly fat does not seem to go away. Saying that it is nothing protruding but enough to grab onto and cover my abdominal muscles structure. Sorry for the rough description as I have not taken my body fat ratio measurement yet.

I workout at least three times a week at the box and if time permits I do some skills during the week at home or do some morning WODs at the box. My box schedules are in the evening (18:30-19:30) on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Some Saturday mornings I try to go the box as well if I am not to messed up from Friday. I used to be being able to easily bang out a WOD/Skill set on Saturday or/and Sunday but that has not happen for the last 4 weeks or so. Below are some typical details of my box. Specifically the last Friday one I could not even get past the wall balls. I just copied this from our wodify - not too sure if I can share all my workouts and scores directly from wodify.

MON FEBRUARY 17, 2014 IWOD MONDAY 17/02/2014

The CrossFit Warm-up
3 rounds of 10-15 reps of:
  • Samson Stretch (15-30 seconds)
  • Overhead Squat with PVC
  • Sit-ups
  • Back-extensions
  • Pull-ups
  • Dips
  • Pistols (10min EMOM 10x Pistols on Odds, Burpees on Evens)
  • Metcon (Time
)
Complete for Time:
  • 50x Double Unders (100 Singles)
  • 21x Floor to Overhead (45/30)
  • 15x Floor to Overhead (45/30)
  • 9x Floor to Overhead (45/30)
Skills
Yoga Sequence

WED FEBRUARY 19, 2014 IWOD WEDNESDAY 19/02/2014
Warm-up
Warm-up
  • 20x Burpee; Push Up; Jumping Jack; Sit Up; Hand Stand
Weightlifting
  • WL: Turkish Get Up (5x 10 (24/16))
Metcon
Metcon (AMRAP - Rounds and Reps)
  • Complete AMRAP (Rounds & Reps) in 12 minutes of:
  • 5x Deadlifts (120kg & 75kg)
  • 10x Toes to Bar
  • 20x Burpees
Cool-down
Foam Rolling & Pain Balling

IWOD FRIDAY 21/02/2014
Warm-up
Warm-up
  • 800m run
Then:
21 - 15 - 9
  • Goblet Squats
  • KB Swings
Weightlifting
  • Farmer's Carry (8x 25m KB Farmers Carry (32 / 24))
Metcon
CrossFit Games Open 13.3 (AMRAP - Rounds and Reps)
  • 12-minute AMRAP of:
  • 150 Wall-Ball Shots, 20# / 14#
  • 90 Double-Unders
  • 30 Muscle-ups
Cool-down
Cry in the corner!

My diet is not complete strict Paleo based with the exception of taking 1-2 teaspoons of Xylotol with my black coffee for instance (more on it below). My water intake various by a bit I noticed. During the week at the office I consume roughly between 900 ml - 1.8l of water (have a refillable water container at my desk). Over weekend I have not measured exactly. During workout I would consume another 900 ml.

My typical eating would include mainly the below foods. I have cut-out oats in the morning as I noticed I get bloated (raw oats with plain yoghurt on the other hand does not do that).

Mornings:
  • Eggs
  • Beacon
  • Broccoli
  • Mushrooms
  • Yoghurt
  • Fruits
  • Nuts

Snacks:
  • Dried game or beef meat
  • Nuts
  • Fruits
  • Carrots

Main meals:
  • Beef
  • Game
  • Lamb
  • Sweet potato
  • Corn
  • Baby potato
  • Cabbage
  • Various Salads

I would have a breakfast and a mid-morning snack after which I have a main meal. I really struggle to get another snack in for mid afternoon but on some days feel like just another main meal for mid afternoons. I also usually have a main meal after the workout at the box. Weekends I constantly feel like just eating something. I have kept my urges for sugary delights at check now for the last month before which I occasionally would treat myself with a slice of cake or chocolate over the weekend. I have to admit before all of this I had/have some problems around over eating. Food was never enough for me but looking at what I eating now it feels like my nutritional scope is very small. One thing I did also cut out from last year is the brown rice and rye bread (had a obsession with peanut butter and almond butter).

Something I forgot to mention in my initial post - I also quiet smoking for close to a year and have not touched a drop of alcohol for over 2 years.

Last edited by Bernd Lippert : 02-26-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Wouldn't hurt to get a physical with blood work just to make sure everything is functioning correctly.

There are a lot of possible explanations but if it is something like a thyroid issue then blood work should expose it. Just be sure to explain to the Doctor your energy problems so he or she orders the right tests.

When someone describes a situation that doesn't make sense then I always recommend starting with a physical and blood work. If your body chemistry is off you need to fix it first before you drive yourself crazy try to change WODs, food and sleep.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Also, what age are you?

Those workouts are pretty brutal. I would not want to do 4 of those a week. You would have to be eating some SERIOUS meals, and sleeping a LOT to recover from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Lippert View Post
Something I forgot to mention in my initial post - I also quiet smoking for close to a year and have not touched a drop of alcohol for over 2 years.
Congrats on that. That is quite a feat, and something to be proud of.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Bernd Lippert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Wouldn't hurt to get a physical with blood work just to make sure everything is functioning correctly.

There are a lot of possible explanations but if it is something like a thyroid issue then blood work should expose it. Just be sure to explain to the Doctor your energy problems so he or she orders the right tests.

When someone describes a situation that doesn't make sense then I always recommend starting with a physical and blood work. If your body chemistry is off you need to fix it first before you drive yourself crazy try to change WODs, food and sleep.
I have done a blood test already and it came back clear as I have mentioned this energy problem. He asked me to go for some or other cardio test as well. Will make an appointment tomorrow .... now I am getting worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Also, what age are you?
I am 34 years old (January). Embarrassingly enough I got my age wrong in my initial post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Congrats on that. That is quite a feat, and something to be proud of.
Thanks!

Last edited by Bernd Lippert : 02-27-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Richard Deyan

Profile:

How do you determine? You go about things in a diagnostic manner by keeping variables as controlled as possible.

Based on your workouts and the food you listed for intake, I would instantly recommend increasing your carbohydrate intake. Unless you're absolutely destroying some sweet potatoes in the evening, doesn't look like a lot of carbohydrate intake at all.

Ketogenic diets and cross fit don't usually get along too well. Crossfit workouts are highly glycolytic in nature, so it places a large demand on the body for glycogen, and you look to be fairly keto. Simplest and most likely explanation (assuming there's no chronic condition or illness) is that you are overtrained and feeling really tired and weak. So you either need to up your carbohydrates, rest more, and/or work out less. But usually taking a few days and increasing your carbohydrate intake does the job. Maybe for breakfast add sweet potatoes, for lunch and dinner throw in some white rice if your stomach tolerates it well (for most it does), a banana or two post-workout.