CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: Why are burpees so hard for me?

Well here goes.....

I have gotten good at burpees. Never really used to like them but now I do, same with wall balls, DU's, box jumps, KBS, pull ups etc. Practice and time are your friend.

You will only get better at burpees if you practice them, sounds dumb I know but there is some technique to doing them efficiently, just like anything else.

You have got some great advice. First thing is you need to learn to flop to the bottom under a semblance of control. That will save you chest etc from fatigue. Second thing to do is splay you legs out wide while laying down. Next when you come up try and keep your feet wide (really wide) as it shortens the range of motion up and down, as in less moving of your feet.

The last part is breathing. You need to learn when and how to breath during these or they will destroy you. Practice lots of different kinds of burpees too. Lateral over the bar burpees, bar facing burpees and burpee box jumps all suck harder than regular burpees. You get really good at the harder variants and the regular burpees seem a lot easier.

Maybe start with doing 5-10 at the top of the minute for 10 minutes as practice. I did this with 9 burpee box jumps this morning and played around with which way worked better (rebound, jump up/step down, step up and down), was a good practice session if nothing else.

Good luck. Burpees take practice.