CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
Dakota Base

Profile:
Re: Movement Standard For Burpees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gerbrandt View Post
^ I don't necessarily agree. If the height is say, 8 feet, it's not that high of a jump for someone 5'6 and someone 6'1 will still have to do a bit of a jump.
Except for the 5'6" guy has to jump 7" higher than the 6'1" guy.

Empiricism: After reading this thread, I just took some measurements. I am 5'10" tall, with a 6'0" wingspan, and 195lbs 32" waist, 45" chest (Pretty standard "Games athlete" build). Standing flat footed, my maximum reach above head with both hands just now was 19", my maximum two hand reach on my tippy-toes was 23 3/8" above head. Maximum 2 hand flat footed reach above head = 27% of my height. Maximum 2 hand reach (tippy toes) above head = 33.4% of my height. Keeping those numbers handy for later.

So an 8ft beam is less than 3" above my maximum two hand reach from ground, or 7" above my flat footed 2 hand reach.

If a guy is 5'6" and proportioned similar to me, his Flat footed reach should be a smidge under 7'0", his tippy toe reach would be 7'4".

If a guy is 6'1", proportioned similarly to me, should be able to touch 7'9" flat footed, and would be able to reach 8'1" on his tippy toes.

So technically, the 6'1" guy wouldn't even have to jump to touch 8ft, whereas the 5'6" guy would have to jump 8". (Anyone surprised it's pretty close to the difference in their heights?)

Real World Application: A co-worker and I play a little basketball (I F'ing hate basketball, but play anyway). His kids are young, so his hoop is always set at 8ft, rather than raising it, we play short. He's 6'3" and can grab the rim standing on the ground. Obviously I have to jump.

There really is a reason why posts in basketball are tall guys. Tall guys really can reach higher than short guys. (Again, anyone else surprised?)

A 5'6" to 6' wall levels the playing field a lot better than a specified reach height, since it gives the opportunity to use their arms, and everyone can reach the top with ease. Even though it might be eye level for some guys and slightly overhead for other guys, the initial JUMP gets guys to their arms to get themselves over.

As far as taking too long to test, Personally I think that's about the rig you're using and how well you have prepared. Get a rig with telescoping tubing and gradation marks for different heights, and pre-measure all of your athletes long before the Open. For video confirmation, use a block with a ruler calibrated to hang 6" below the pin, show the athlete standing under it and just touching it. Start. Can get rigs like that built for around $10 a piece from PVC.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Except for the 5'6" guy has to jump 7" higher than the 6'1" guy.
Yeah, I agree. 7" of vertical jump is not a trivial amount, and in some WOD with 50 or 100 or more burpees, that 7" amounts to many feet in a cumulative sense.

Of course, supposedly us short guys have an advantage for deadlifts (less leverage, etc) and a few other movements, but I'm not sure that evens out, since vertical height is easily quantifiable and some arbitrary leverage measurement isn't.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
Jeff Enge

Profile:

"Other movements" as in anything involving moving a barbell from one place to another (i.e. squats, presses, cleans, thrusters, etc). Or things like pullups or handstand pushups. Just a couple examples.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #14
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
"Other movements" as in anything involving moving a barbell from one place to another (i.e. squats, presses, cleans, thrusters, etc). Or things like pullups or handstand pushups. Just a couple examples.
Agreed, but again the advantage for a shorter guy is unquantifiable and varies considerably between every one of the movements that you mentioned. Not really a good argument for standardizing the burpee jump-height.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #15
Jeff Enge

Profile:

But it isn't unquantifiable. Take a thruster for example. The distance I have to move the weight (from barbell at front rack at least parallel squat to barbell overhead arms locked) at 6'2" with a 6'7" wingspan is a certain, quantifiable distance, and is measurably less than, say, a 5'8" guy would have.

Not saying it or any other skill needs standardized heights to be "fair," just that it is quantifiable.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #16
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
But it isn't unquantifiable. Take a thruster for example. The distance I have to move the weight (from barbell at front rack at least parallel squat to barbell overhead arms locked) at 6'2" with a 6'7" wingspan is a certain, quantifiable distance, and is measurably less than, say, a 5'8" guy would have.

Not saying it or any other skill needs standardized heights to be "fair," just that it is quantifiable.
Okay, I guess I see your point. My thought was that, say, a deadlift is not quantifiable due to the greater leverage factor that a taller guy has - i.e. the lever action from the hip to the shoulder is much greater for a taller guy - which is probably a disadvantage. But you are right that the distance the barbell moves from point A to point B is measurable for everyone, I guess.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
Andrew Perlot

Profile:

Thanks for the input, guys.