CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:
New technique for teaching du's?

First, I apologize for the quality of this video. It was done hastily with my phone immediately after the 6am WOD today. As a result, I'm talking fast, mumbling...and I look like my mouth might be a twin for Greta Van Susteren.

In any case, have a look and let me know what you think. Very curious if anyone else has done this before...I know, we all want to be first at something

This works great for helping folks position their elbows in a double under; preventing them from travelling away from the body and thereby shortening the rope to the point of failure.

However, it does not stop them from moving their forearms laterally away...as you can see in the video when she hits her shins with the rope. But, hey, it's a start, and my idea helped her start linking up du's today!

Enjoy! (WFS) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MwnD...m-upload_owner
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Christian Batchelor

Profile:
Re: New technique for teaching du's?

It looks worth a shot to me.
I can see this helping get the rhythm and correct rope length, but I could see it acting as a crutch since they will then be used to relying on the band to keep their arms from going out.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
Gary Moody

Profile:

I gave it a try tonight. I strung together 5 DUs for the first time ever! I still have a long way to go, but I will keep using this method. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #4
Mark Fowler

Profile:

Will have a look at this later - I need to nail DUs in the next week, so if this works I owe you BIG TIME!!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Jason A Smith

Profile:

My best "technique" tip for people learning DUs is this. Have them bounce on the balls of their feet with their arms in the "skipping" position. Get them doing the correct bounce and rythym there and then add the rope all the while having them maintain the exact same positions. My wife picked it up in about 5 minutes.

DUs is all about practice. Once you know you can do a pile in a row, you can actually rest during the DUs in a WOD.

My calves get sore if I do too many so I have to be a bit careful.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Christian-

Yeah, it could be a crutch...but I think a good coach would see that, and once positioning is maintained, remove the bands. Also, although the band helps elbow positioning, it is more restrictive than without = less desirable once the athlete links up 3-5 du's and wants to go for more.

Gary-

Thanks for the feedback, brother. I've had a couple folks in our gym able to do the same. It's only one component of learning the DU, but it was one I noticed to be a consistent problem.

Jason-

See above response to Gary. Totally agree. The ultimate goal is for du's to become like jogging. What I used to hate in the WOD now becomes my rest time / chance to catch my breath.

Thanks, fellas, for the feedback. I'm going to try and make a better video as this one was so hurried and sloppy.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:23 AM   #7
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Heck lots of new CrossFitters may benefit by trying this to get good singles before they move on to doubles. I see quite a few folks who stumble through poor form singles with their arms flailing all over the place and they are never even ready to try to move on to doubles.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Hey Joshua!

Totally good! I have been using this on occasion with some very challenged peoples, works well to print in the brain the positioning we want. I usually get the band all around the peeps instead of just the elbows as you do, but principle is the same,

Good share sir, keep it up.