CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Greg Light

Profile:
Re: Compression Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
Pics of said shirts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Richard View Post
Interested in seeing the pants myself. Was in the market for long tights, but will wait to see what Greg has to offer.
Hi guys here are a couple pics of the clothing. Keep in mind this was on a REALLLY slender mannequin. Third pic is me wearing the shirt and a pair of the socks (and filling it out a bit better than the mannequin, lol) on a deadlift over the weekend. As an FYI - I'm 5'10" 205 with a size 9 shoe and those are both Mediums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MLBQ.jpg
Views:	1132
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	9175  Click image for larger version

Name:	MLTQ.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	9176  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8842.jpg
Views:	1693
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	9177  
Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Andrew Crowe

Profile:

Hi guys, here in Australia we have three main compression brands - Skins, 2XU and BSc (Body Science Compression) - in no particuar order.

In my opinion, Body Science is hands down the best quality, feel and fitting compression garment on the market - to a point where we only stock and sell BSc gear in my box. I find Skins are far thinner (which for some is great however I don't feel they assist that greatly during exercise).

I swear by them during exercise however, like others, am not completely sold on the benefits of post. I do also always wear them when flying (over maybe 1 - 2 hrs) to increase blood flow, hoping to decrease the chances of DVT.

BSc is an Australia owned and operated brand also - always good to buy locally.

Andrew
Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crowe View Post
Hi guys, here in Australia we have three main compression brands - Skins, 2XU and BSc (Body Science Compression) - in no particuar order.

In my opinion, Body Science is hands down the best quality, feel and fitting compression garment on the market - to a point where we only stock and sell BSc gear in my box. I find Skins are far thinner (which for some is great however I don't feel they assist that greatly during exercise).

I swear by them during exercise however, like others, am not completely sold on the benefits of post. I do also always wear them when flying (over maybe 1 - 2 hrs) to increase blood flow, hoping to decrease the chances of DVT.

BSc is an Australia owned and operated brand also - always good to buy locally.

Andrew
Out of curiosity, is 2XU an Australian brand as well? What do you think about their quality if you've tried their stuff?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
Andrew Crowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
Out of curiosity, is 2XU an Australian brand as well? What do you think about their quality if you've tried their stuff?
Yeah I think they might be. I think they are better than Skins but not as good as BSc. That said, they have quite a different feel about them - again, they feel thinner, which I didn't like. I also wear my compression gear playing rugby, touch football etc - Skins and 2XU don't make it through half a seasion before ripping.

2XUs current problem is their pricing - it's hugely over-priced - a pair of cycling shorts can cost $200. I can't justify that cost to myself, let along my clients! In our gym we only sell what we (as in Trainers/Coaches) actually wear, eat or drink - or what we'd sell to our Mum. Don't tend to stock things we don't believe in or swear by.

Good job on your stuff Greg, it looks (and from reviews sounds) impressive!

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew Crowe : 04-09-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
Steve Bray

Profile:

save your money and dont buy a product that doesnt really do anything except look cool.

http://www.rangeofmotion.net.au/blog...ing-literature

(wfs)
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
Andrew Crowe

Profile:
Wink Re: Compression Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
save your money and dont buy a product that doesnt really do anything except look cool.

http://www.rangeofmotion.net.au/blog...ing-literature

(wfs)
A placebo effect is still an effect... and as you said, you look cool :-)

That said, I swear by it, will keep wearing it, and selling ****loads of it...
Old 04-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #17
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
Thanks for the shout-out Jay. Our site will be up by the end of the week. I think people will really like the price/quality relationship we have. Our sales are all completed online, so there is no retail markup that you find with most of the other brands out there. I'll post a link to our site when its up along with a CF message board coupon code in case anyone is interested. Prices after coupon codes and including shipping for people on here will roughly be as follows:
SS Shirts - $32
LS Shirts - $37
Shorts - $27
Pants - $37
Socks - $25

We've been selling some socks directly on here and everyone has been very happy so far. Our clothing arrives tomorrow.
Does your stuff match up with SKINS and BSc in terms of compression level and durability? I'm interested in how you were able to design and manufacture it at about 1/3 of the price of other brands given their likely savings from buying materials in bulk. I'm guessing lack of marketing is probably a big part of it, but did you find any other huge cost savings?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #18
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Does your stuff match up with SKINS and BSc in terms of compression level and durability? I'm interested in how you were able to design and manufacture it at about 1/3 of the price of other brands given their likely savings from buying materials in bulk. I'm guessing lack of marketing is probably a big part of it, but did you find any other huge cost savings?
I am also curious. As some said above, some 'compression' gear is simply just tights while other brands actually provide targeted compression to - I only wear recovery tights after I work out (and they don't look cool because they are under my pants at work). I do notice a difference in my legs for sure - whether it's a placebo, fish oils or the pants working, I think it is worth the $80 I paid on Amazon for the SKINS.

If yours are much cheaper and you do provide graduated compression as SKINS and 2XU, I would love to try a pair...
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #19
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
I am also curious. As some said above, some 'compression' gear is simply just tights while other brands actually provide targeted compression to - I only wear recovery tights after I work out (and they don't look cool because they are under my pants at work). I do notice a difference in my legs for sure - whether it's a placebo, fish oils or the pants working, I think it is worth the $80 I paid on Amazon for the SKINS.

If yours are much cheaper and you do provide graduated compression as SKINS and 2XU, I would love to try a pair...
Compression level - yes
Durability - I hope and believe so, but only time will tell. I don't wear them for anything contact related like Andrew, but I have been wearing my sample pair almost every day for close to three months and they look exactly the same as the day I got them.

Joey - I would be curious to hear your experience with Skins' durability. I was surprised when I read this on the FAQ section of their website:

"How long will my SKINS last?

Obviously this depends on how your wear your SKINS and how often you wash them. If you’re a runner, we expect that your SKINS will last about the same distance as a very good quality running shoe. As with all elastomeric materials, SKINS will deteriorate eventually."

Is this just CYA language or does this really need to be replaced every 6 months to a year? If its true, thats a lot of cash for something that is essentially disposable.

Regarding pricing, the ABSOLUTE biggest difference is that we don't do any retail sales. Typical retail markup is AT LEAST 100% and typically more, especially in specialty stores. That means Skins is probably only getting $60 - $75 from the retailer for those $150 tights. This makes sense as I've heard of people getting 50+% off through group buys at affiliates, etc.

Eric, as you mentioned, another big part is advertising and sponsorship. At the extremes, you find companies like UnderArmour spending $400m a year on marketing. Obviously Skins, etc. don't spend that, but they are starting to sponsor some pretty legit athletes (#1 Golfer in the world, big Rugby teams, etc.) and that doesnt come cheap given their size.

You're right about cost of materials. We are setting our pricing structure based on where we want to be in the long run when we are doing a lot more volume and getting better pricing. Until then, we just aren't making much money on each unit sold.

We're just trying to keep costs tight and build some brand awareness until we get enough momentum to take advantage of some better volume pricing.

Thanks for the interest everyone and I hope I have answered questions sufficiently. If anyone would like to know more, ask away.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
James Orr

Profile:

Greg, how can we order these?