CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
Shane Gibson

Profile:
Lower back/pelvis pain?

I have been dealing with this on and off for months. It gets pretty angry when I deadlift a lot or heavy, and really when I clean/snatch heavy as well. I have been to a chiropractor several times and after 2 sessions or so of adjustment and massage it usually feels substantially better, only to come back a few weeks later. It comes from mostly the lower right side of my back, and by lower I mean it actually feels like my pelvis is out of place. The pain is way lower back, below the waist line, near the pelvis to the right side of my spine. Right now it hurts to do everything, but it is not debilitating in the sense that it keeps me from doing anything, and I actually don't feel it during WODs, only afterwards and during the day.

Any thoughts, ideas or advice is much apprecaited. I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Mike Lowe

Profile:
Re: Lower back/pelvis pain?

I have similar issues. Gluteus Medius trigger points. Get yourself a lacross ball and 'roll' it out.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Shane Gibson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
I have similar issues. Gluteus Medius trigger points. Get yourself a lacross ball and 'roll' it out.
Hmm...how do you mean? I have a foam roller and my buddy has a trigger point kit I can use. Can you elaborate please?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Brent Latimer

Profile:

foam roller isn't as 'aggressive' as the lacrosse ball.
best couple bucks i've spent easily.

I had problems with my SI joint, went to physio and they got me doing adductions, abductions and some exercises for the TA. They also recommended lots of stability work (inflatable ball, wobble board) to help strengthen the muscles in there.

Unfortunately I haven't been aggressive enough with the exercises nor as faithful in doing them.... but my SI stopped locking up during hockey!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Latimer View Post
foam roller isn't as 'aggressive' as the lacrosse ball.
best couple bucks i've spent easily.

I had problems with my SI joint, went to physio and they got me doing adductions, abductions and some exercises for the TA. They also recommended lots of stability work (inflatable ball, wobble board) to help strengthen the muscles in there.

Unfortunately I haven't been aggressive enough with the exercises nor as faithful in doing them.... but my SI stopped locking up during hockey!
I also have SI issues. I think the solution is more simple (ie. no swiss balls, etc)...try hip bridges (glute activation), switch to sumo deadlifts (toes out helps "lock in" the SI), heavy ab work (toe to bars, weighted sit ups...keeps the pelvis from dropping forward)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Mike Mallory

Profile:

I would suggest seeing someone who can properly evaluate your SI joint.

9 times out of ten, SI joint problems come with gut inflammation and some other muscular issues; so don't overlook diet and lifestyle.

Check out a good PT in the area, get your joints situated, and get rolling on a lacrosse ball or something......and get on some lunges and unilateral work.

SI joints don't usually get better from one-plane work; ie situps, deadlifts,squats, etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Mike Mallory

Profile:

oh, and if you're lifting busts up your joints and causes pain.....SCALE BACK
Old 04-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Matt Trussell

Profile:

Shane,

First things first I have to thank you. When I first started xfitting (about 3 months ago now) I stumbled across your familyís blog and I have to say it was a very good starting point for me and I learned a ton just from that blog. I went back to learn more when I started eating paleo-ish about 1.5 months ago. Your info gave me ideas, recipes and provoked some thoughts (I have a 1 yr old little boy that Iím trying to feed as paleo as I can) and just generally gave me good info to start. So, you donít know it, but youíve helped me out a bunch, thanks!

Now if I can try and return the favor a little; Iíve got the same pain in my back that you describe and Iíve done a lot of research the past few days on it. I hurt mine doing 1RM DL, hurt for about a week and went away on its own, hurt it again about a month later doing Rxíd ďLindaĒ. I took it easy for a few days, and it went away again on its own in about 1.5 weeks. Now most recently I really did it. I was still sore/weak from doing multiple DLs the week before and was doing hang power cleans, I bent over to pick up the bar which only had 115 lbs on it and didnít even think about my form, I felt a tweak in my back and that familiar pain came back, but worse then before. That was 4-5 days ago not and Iím still feeling it. But hereís some helpful stuff I found on another thread:

The Sacroiliac Joints are located at the bottom of the back. You have one either side of the spine. The Sacroiliac joints help make up the rear part of the pelvic girdle and sit between the sacrum and the ilia.

There are torsional or twisting forces applied to the pelvic girdle when the lower limbs are moved. These limbs act like long levers and without the sacroiliac joints and the pubic symphysis (at the front of the pelvis) which allow movement, the pelvis would very likely be subject to a fracture.

These joints can often get stuck or in some cases one half of the pelvis can glide forwards or backwards, which is often referred to as a twisted pelvis. When this occurs it often irritates the Iliolumbar ligament which results in Inflammation. This is usually indicated by tenderness around the bony lumps which you can feel if you place your thumbs either side of your lower back.

Symptoms include:

Pain located either to the left or right of your lower back. The pain can range from an ache to a sharp pain which can restrict movement.
The pain may radiate out into your buttocks and low back and will often radiate to the front into the groin. Occasionally it is responsible for pain in the testicles among males.
Occasionally there may be referred pain into the lower limb which can be mistaken for sciatica.
Classic symptoms are difficulty turning over in bed, struggling to put on shoes and socks and pain getting your legs in and out of the car.
Stiffness in the lower back when getting up after sitting for long periods and when getting up from bed in the morning.
Aching to one side of your lower back when driving long distances.

Stuff to treat:
Prescribe anti-inflammatory medication (e.g. ibuprofen) and rest.
Sports massage will help relieve any soft tissue tension in the area.
Advise Ice and cold therapy to reduce inflammation

This nailed it down for me. I was having trouble describing where the pain was coming from, it is right above my right butt cheek and sometimes down my leg and actually does radiate into my groin a little. My wife suggested sciatic nerve when I said it goes down my leg a little when I massage the spot. I sit down all day at work at this bugs it, so I get up a lot and try to stretch. Iíve been icing here and there but by far the best thing has been a lacrosse ball to the back! Grab one and pin it to the wall with your back (or put it in a sock) and move around, youíll know when you hit the spot (I sure did). Youíll feel it everywhere it hurts when you hit the spot and it will hurt but feel awesome at the same time, haha. Iím not a fan of NSAIDs at all so Iíve been icing to help inflammation but itís a hard spot to locate with the ice sometimes, I need to look into some natural/herbal remedies I think and try those out.

Iíve come to realize that this injury was due to bad form and bad form when tired, but ultimately itís because my back is more likely to round because my hamstrings are so tight. Iíve never been a good stretcher and Iím paying for it now.

So, Iíve decided to take 2 weeks ďoffĒ and do lots of stretching and mobility work (my hip flexors are tight and sore also) Iím still doing some upper body stuff and prehabbing my shoulders as well. Like you said, itís not keeping me from doing anything, but I donít want to look at a heavy DL right now. During the day it only bugs me when I sit too long or drive and itís just uncomfortable, not painful. But after dealing with it for a couple months I donít think I ever really healed right or got the inflammation down the other times, it felt better so I went on as normal.

My advice and things that helped me:
-Ice when youíre just chilling out
-Heat, massage, heat again (massage being deep tissue ie: lacrosse ball)
-Take NSAIDs if youíre ok with them
-Rest
-Stretch
-Look up diesel crew vids on youtube for hip mobility work and this article (WFS):
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-optimi...te-activation/
It starts w/glute activation stuff which is good, then you can click on the hip mobility link and get some great ideas there too (mostly multi plane lunge work like Mike said)

Hope that helped some, I avoid the doc if I can and understand that POV. Sorry for the long post but if it helps then itís worth it.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Matt Trussell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
oh, and if you're lifting busts up your joints and causes pain.....SCALE BACK
+1 Ė Iíve already told myself to start lifting with my head ad not my ego when I come back!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Shane Gibson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trussell View Post
+1 Ė Iíve already told myself to start lifting with my head ad not my ego when I come back!
Matt, thanks very much for you help. I will take you advice and give it a shot.

Really glad to hear that our blog has been helpful to you. It is great to find out that someone is reading it. I haven't been updating as much as usual because I have been busy working on some big things. Keep an eye on the blog, I got a big announcement coming soon and hopefully the wife will start posting some of her new recipes again.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I had no idea what a Sacroiliac joint even was, but that is definitely it! Love this community! Thanks!