CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Sean Richard

Profile:
best your style for Crossfit rest days

I see more and more people doing yoga to speed up recovery etc on there rest days. I was wondering if there is one set yoga system people are doing or is all forms of yoga good for people doing crossfit as there main training

Last edited by Sean Richard; 01-18-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: best yoga style for Crossfit rest days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Richard View Post
I see more and more people doing yoga to speed up recovery etc on there rest days. I was wondering if there is one set yoga system people are doing or is all forms of yoga good for people doing crossfit as there main training
I would stay away from "hot" or "power" yoga. Hot yoga because you're so warm that you can hurt yourself by overstretching, power yoga because it's intended to be a conditioning workout in itself, which isn't what you want for rest/recovery. (By Crossfit standards, a power yoga workout is pretty lame, but it's still more ballistic than you want here.)

Personally, I like the flowing styles rather than the ones that focus on static holds, but that's just personal preference.

Katherine
Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Walker Fenz

Profile:

I just started doing bikram yoga on my off days and just love it....Forgive me if this is silly question, Katherine, but how do you "overstretch"?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker Fenz View Post
I just started doing bikram yoga on my off days and just love it....Forgive me if this is silly question, Katherine, but how do you "overstretch"?
The way it was explained to me (by a much more accomplished yogi than I who injured herself doing hot yoga), there is a natural range of motion inherent in any muscle. This can be increased over time, but tension is a warning that you are reaching the end of that range and should stop (or at least proceed with caution and awareness). Hot yoga reduces tension, and therefore reduces the signals that you are entering the danger zone. Go too far, and *pop* an injury can occur.

As with any fitness class (including Crossfit!), obviously the skill (or lack thereof) of the person leading the class can increase or decrease the risk of injury. Choose your instructor carefully!

Katherine
Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:
Re: best your style for Crossfit rest days

yoga speeds up recovery? I am gonna start maybe seriously ... what types are best or is it just preference,
Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Joe Hlasnik

Profile:

I like to pull out the one I have from when I did p90x on the off days I do think it aides in recovery.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Viniyoga is the best thing going IMO (in the states at least)

On rest days, I focus on anything that's going to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system; salt baths, right brain activity, etc. I like Qi gong for its slow movements and non-catabolic nature.

Build up that chi and you may end up like this guy! WFS
Old 01-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Walker Fenz

Profile:

I appreciate the reply Katherine...something to think about. I tend to push myself and test limits (no wonder I love Crossfit!!), but a Bikrim studio is not be the place for that. I already know this, but I should leave my competitive spirit for the box...I will be very conscious to listen to my body....thanks again.