CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #71
Jeff Edwards

Profile:
Re: Official WordPress users thread.

ForgedFit.com
And wish me luck all on affiliation! I sent it in a couple days ago.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #72
Justin Rovtar

Profile:

What are you trying to do to make it look how you want?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #73
Jeff Edwards

Profile:

I've been trying to alter the theme a bit here and there, but it seems I need to know html to do that. I'm not after anything really complicated. I want to be able to post daily wods, with pictures or video, have a page explaining who we are and what we do, have a google maps thing that shows our location, and in future set up automated class sign up and billing. Real basic for now, but I want it to look clean and professional. Right now it just looks like junk.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:16 AM   #74
Jeff Edwards

Profile:

I bought a book on html, xhtml, and css. Hopefully that will teach me what I need to know. Though I was really trying to avoid delving into that much detail early on. Eh, such is the price for being picky! Maybe I can start reading it after I put the engine back in my car.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #75
Justin Rovtar

Profile:

Here is what I recommend.

Do a web search for free Wordpress themes. look around multiple sites. find a theme that is relatively close to what you envision as far as layout. Colors can be changed just make sure it starts close to what you want (Meaning if you want a black background look at sites that already have black background)

Once you find one let me know.

P.S. - Make sure it is Widget Friendly. Usually it will say somewhere if it is.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #76
Derek Franks

Profile:

Another option that might work for you (especially if you don't want to learn CSS) is to go over to www.elance.com (WFS) and hire somebody in India or Eastern Europe to create a wordpress theme for you.

If you can pretty specifically describe what you want you should be able to get one done to your liking quickly and cheaply. Just do a profile search on the main page for "Wordpress" and you'll get a ton of result for folks that can do what you want. If you click on Portfolio under their names you can see examples of their work. You can also see feedback from other customers, how much work they've done through elance, their hourly rates etc.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #77
Jeff Edwards

Profile:

Thanks guys, I looked all over for a theme that I like, and some aren't too bad. The problem is I don't like their tabs and whatnot, and I have no idea how to change things like the banner and such without learning XHTML, and if I have to learn that I might as well learn css and create my own theme. So far I haven't found much use for wordpress, doesn't seem to be as friendly and flexible as I'd hoped.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #78
Eric Neri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Edwards View Post
I bought a book on html, xhtml, and css. Hopefully that will teach me what I need to know. Though I was really trying to avoid delving into that much detail early on. Eh, such is the price for being picky! Maybe I can start reading it after I put the engine back in my car.
I had the same problem. If you're not going to hire a web designer and are specific about what you want, there is no other way than to learn html and css. I tried to get around it but there is no way. I ended up teaching myself in order to finally get everything the way I wanted it. I went with a standard theme and played around with a dummy site until I knew enough to build my own. It took some months, lots of work, and lots of headaches but I feel it was worth it. At first I hated that it took so long but then I realized it was really going to take us months to get up and running as a serious affiliate anyway. I ended up writing our whole site from scratch and integrating wordpress with it by creating a theme that looked like the rest of the site. We just launched it to coincide with finally finding a space for a box (and being able to afford it) and it's a huge improvement over the old one: http://www.crossfitsouthphilly.com (wordpress is obviously on the blog page).

Good luck with website and the affiliation! If you have any questions let me know.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #79
Jeff Edwards

Profile:

Thanks Eric, will do. Good luck with the new affiliate. I'm interested in seeing how things go, what you learn, etc as a new affiliate and any tips or lessons learned on html and css. The site looks good, nice work!
Old 10-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #80
Kylie Lindbeck

Profile:

Eric, your site looks awesome, nice work!
Iím having the same issues with our affiliate site, a very basic wordpress theme that isnít exactly what we are after.... so close to bailing and paying someone to do it to look more professional and eye catching. As much as I would rather learn, and do it myself.

It may not be as easy to explain but how did you get the red bar showing your date (similar to your logo) and also the text on the side in the grey? At the moment we are limited on fonts / colours, is there a way to have more options? Or is it all in the theme you created.

Also, it has been driving me batty; I am trying to get an events calendar up on our site. I have put the calendar widget on there and have tried countless times to upload the "events Widget" plugin to be able to put up coming events on the calendar. Iím using Filezila, with very little knowledge, I have uploaded a plugin the same way before and it worked, it all looks the same but nothing is happing I donít know what i'm missing. Any tips / hints would be great!

Cheers

Jeff, good luck with the affiliate. Exciting times ahead!