CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Vulcan Strength Needle Bearing Barbells

Just pulled the trigger on a men's and a women's Professional Needle Bearing Barbells from Vulcan to use in our Oly lifting club at RCC. Have heard some great things about them and decided to give them a shot.

Also noticed there are very few reviews of their barbells online, an none that I could find on their needle bearing bars. Please chime in here if you have worked with one, and I will be happy to update the thread with our own impressions after we get some lifting in with them.

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
David Weber

Profile:
Re: Vulcan Strength Needle Bearing Barbells

Ian,

I have not used their needle bearing bar but have been thinking about buying one for over 2 years now. I live in Baltimore and would love to come by for a lifting session with you at some point to try the bar. I have a few high end needle bearing bars that I could bring to do a comparison, both men's and women's bars. I'll send you a PM to work out details.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Lets do it!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Mike Hollister

Profile:

Post a review to this thread when you get them!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 AM   #5
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

nice buy!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hollister View Post
Post a review to this thread when you get them!
Will do! Thanks to Dave looks like we may be able to do a side by side comparison to an Eleiko and a DHS too.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Broke the Vulcan Pro in today with some clean & jerk practice, working up to a double at 105kgs. Here are my initial impressions:

At first I was a bit taken aback by the feel of the chrome finish, it seemed slippery and just too shiny! As soon as I chalked up and started lifting though, I started really digging the knurling (which is pretty deep but not sharp), and the springy feel of the bar, especially noticeable on the heavier jerks. The action on the cleans was super smooth and I hardly noticed the bar at all once I started focusing on the movements, which is a definite compliment IMO. I made a slight mistake on one clean and caught it slightly forward, and the easy spin on the bar allowed me to reclaim position with no strain on the wrists.

All in all, this def feels like a high end bar, and is in a different category to than your standard for CrossFit 28.5mm bushing bar.

Looking at the women's bar, it seems like a completely different animal: the knurling is much finer and less textured, although it seems to spin just as nicely and the finish is equally elegant. I will let one of out female lifters test it, though.

Thats all I have for now, but we will likely be doing a side by side comparison with a werksan and an eleiko bar soon - so stay tuned!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
Sean Hang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
Broke the Vulcan Pro in today with some clean & jerk practice, working up to a double at 105kgs. Here are my initial impressions:

At first I was a bit taken aback by the feel of the chrome finish, it seemed slippery and just too shiny! As soon as I chalked up and started lifting though, I started really digging the knurling (which is pretty deep but not sharp), and the springy feel of the bar, especially noticeable on the heavier jerks. The action on the cleans was super smooth and I hardly noticed the bar at all once I started focusing on the movements, which is a definite compliment IMO. I made a slight mistake on one clean and caught it slightly forward, and the easy spin on the bar allowed me to reclaim position with no strain on the wrists.

All in all, this def feels like a high end bar, and is in a different category to than your standard for CrossFit 28.5mm bushing bar.

Looking at the women's bar, it seems like a completely different animal: the knurling is much finer and less textured, although it seems to spin just as nicely and the finish is equally elegant. I will let one of out female lifters test it, though.

Thats all I have for now, but we will likely be doing a side by side comparison with a werksan and an eleiko bar soon - so stay tuned!
Do the bars have any ribbing on the sleeves?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hang View Post
Do the bars have any ribbing on the sleeves?
Nope, sleeves are smooth chrome on both bars.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Hmm, sounds promising.