CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Robin Kaiser

Profile:
Crossfitting At Home??

Hello All,

I'm very new to crossfit, started at home in December. I'm a runner and I've also been doing weight training for several years. I injured my ankle during a half marathon and I started crossfit to stay in shape while I was recouping. Turns out that I love it and while I'll still likely run short distances, I'm done with marathons and half marathons for sure!! I've seen more positive changes in my body doing crossfit in two short months than ever. I didn't realize how terribly out of shape I was until I started crossfit. It's quite different than running a steady pace for several miles.

That said, my husband got me started with crossfit. We have been carefully reviewing the demos, learning the moves and techniques and he has been watching me for good form etc. I can barely do a lot of the WODs and have to modify some of them, but I'm improving in time, weight and strength progressively. I've seen amazing progress over the last two months. I've thought about joining a crossfit gym to learn from a trainer, but time is a huge issue. Three kiddos, karate, soccer, bible study. We have a very full schedule which is why working out at home (We have an awesome home gym!!) is optimal for me.

So, I was was wondering if there are others who are working out from home and if they could offer advice/input/thoughts? I really wanted to go to the crossfit cert 1 class they are having in San Antonio, but we are out of town that weekend. I was really bummed!!

Also, I'm Zoning and almost completely Paleo, slowly working my way towards getting rid of all the grains and dairy (all out will definitely not work for me!!) I've lost only 3 pounds. I was extremely disappointed until I did my measurements. I lost an inch in my thighs and chest, but gained in my arms. So for other newbies, don't be discouraged by the scale, take your measurements!!

My goals are to continue to gain strength and to work on gaining speed and endurance during the WODs (I am very slow!!) and of course just be overall physically fit. I just started tracking time because I was pretty embarressed in the beginning that I could barely do a lot of the WODs.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to provide some input.

Sincerely,
Robin
Old 02-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Dave Cox

Profile:
Re: Crossfitting At Home??

Robin I work out at home and have two small boys. For me I find it necessary to hold to a routine of working out basically the same time every morning which helps the kids know that it's part of the day. I took a significant time away from CF due to recurring lower back problems but I really miss it when I can't do it.

I also follow the scaling from Brand X http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums (WFS) The link is also on the main page. Gardawg provides scaling each day for all levels of experience and capabilities, reducing weight/reps and some alternative exercises for all wods, it really is a great resource.

Much of my equipment is homemade such as plyo boxes, squat stands, medicine balls etc most of which I found on this site in the equipment section.

Most of the workouts are brief but intense lending to those on the go. Warm ups, cool downs or any other special skills you wish to work on will add to the length when you have the time.

Good luck and have fun.

Dave
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Robin Kaiser

Profile:

Dave,

Thanks for the great resource, those scale downs will be very helpful!! I try and do the same as you too, work out the same time everyday. Also, the kids love to get involved while we are working out, they will do pull-ups, push-ups etc. They love it. They know when to stay out of the way and will ride their bikes or play in the driveway during those times. I like that they see us working out, Good Modeling!!

We've either made all our stuff or purchased on craigslist. I'm needing a new medicine ball as I'm about ready for 14#. Pretty excited about that!!

Anyways thanks so much for the info and for posting!!

Sincerely
Robin
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

CF at home is awesome. Many many people do it. I don't know what the stats are, but I'm sure more people CF (or some version of it) at home and at globo gyms then at affiliates. I have CF (or some version of it) at home for like 3 years. Many threads to search for to find what basic equipment you need to get started. Then just sub stuff, and add stuff. You can make or get on CL just about everything you will ever need.

FYI, I would spend the L1 money on a couple months of affiliate dues. It will be more worth your money, imo.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
Ted Apollo

Profile:

welcome to the boards!

i prefer to workout at home or at my globo. most CF boxes charge way too much. but if you feel like you could use some coaching most boxes will do single personal training sessions if you want to work on form.

i wanted to do the CF cert a few years ago when it was $500, but they bumped it up to $1000 and i don't feel its worth it unless i planned on starting my own affiliate.

i say you are on the right track. now that you are part of the cf message board community take advantage of it & try to learn from others posts. use the search function first if you have a question & if you don't find a sufficient answer then post a question. most topics have been covered in great detail in the past so searching old posts is a quick & easy way to get knowledge.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Robin Kaiser

Profile:

I have to agree on crossfit gyms. I've checked into a couple and they do charge alot! One in San Antonio does a crossfit 101, 12 sessions for $240. I've been considering that as well, but finding time to get there is a whole other matter. It's so much easier to work out when you just walk out the door into your garage

I definitely look forward to reading the posts and gaining more knowledge. Thanks for posting!!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Kyle Ligon

Profile:

WHAT THE HELL IS WPS?? (WPS) is a new site that gives daily programming to the person working out at home with limited equipment. Please help get the word out
Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
Kirk Dragsbaek

Profile:

How many old threads are you going to bumb. I think everyone gets that you have a website for crossfitting at home. One thread might have been enough
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Dragsbaek View Post
How many old threads are you going to bumb. I think everyone gets that you have a website for crossfitting at home. One thread might have been enough
+1

Please stop, Kyle. You're pretty much just spamming the board now.

- Mark
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
+1

Please stop, Kyle. You're pretty much just spamming the board now.

- Mark
There's no "pretty much" about it! Cleaning the mess now; Kyle will not be posting here.