CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Gaines DuVall

Profile:
LOVE watching the games, BUT.......

LOVE LOVE LOVE Crossfit and have enjoyed the games. First of all, Rich is clearly the best overall and will win, leaving no doubt.

But I'm going to say what many others are probably thinking. The games are unorganized, events rules are not clearly explained, and the inconsistency in judging is HORRIBLE. Watching the overhead's this morning was disheartening. Two guys right next to each other. One is NOT going deep enough and getting all his reps counted, another clearly going deeper and getting called for "no rep." I am sure this comment will get plenty of negative replies, but remember, I am a HUGE Crossfit fan and supporter, just speaking about what I have seen.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Kendra Bailey

Profile:
Re: LOVE watching the games, BUT.......

I agree about the judging for the men's event this morning. I am watching the recaps and just shaking my head at how inconsistant the judging was. If I were those guys, I'd be a little miffed.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Didn't see a lot of judging issues with the...
Swimming, running, softball throws, rope climbs, handstand walk, sprint, monkey bar, bike, sled push, row, or sled pull.

Why? Because they are "real world" events that don't require much judging. All the events should be like that.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
Didn't see a lot of judging issues with the...
Swimming, running, softball throws, rope climbs, handstand walk, sprint, monkey bar, bike, sled push, row, or sled pull.

Why? Because they are "real world" events that don't require much judging. All the events should be like that.
Interesting point of view.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Wouldn't have been hard for reebok to put big yellow dots on the lateral femoral condyles and greater trochanter (for knee and hip joints respectively) for greater ease of judging.

If you do reflector strips too you can set up a sensor which they can preset before a competition at a certain height. That makes sure competitors will go deep enough during each repetition to have it count.

But then again they don't ask me for ideas on how to run their competition
Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Richard Colon

Profile:

I've also thought of some sort of break point for wall balls where if you break the plane (sensor, lasers, I dont know) then a light goes off specifying that you've reached the 10ft mark and a rep was counted.

On that note, why not at least more spectator friendly. Digital scoring, signs or some way of identifying the rep/round a competitor is on. The small flip card labeled 21, 15 and 9 wasn't bad but there was an event where the scoring was 2014 or something. I know it was adding up 700m bike and front squat or whatever was going on but it wasn't very efficient.

A christmas tree of lights for a drag race (that starting tower thing) can do wonders if there is some imagination and creativity. I know its in its infancy but we are talking about a quarter of a million dollars to the winner.

My wife watched some events and I asked my son to watch a few but as outsiders to Crossfit - at least my son, he was turned off as opposed to some Olympic events (I know comparisons are far away still) because he couldn't follow who was "winning". Whether it was on screen prompts, commentators, or whatever - If you didn't know "Fran" you couldn't follow to well for a pro sport..

For it to grow to ESPN the channel or any stage - which can include larger prize money and the financial ability for crossfitters to train exclusively as an athlete it needs mass appeal. Of course I'm only speaking for the games. As a fitness movement if you want to call it that, I'm fine with it being a garage friendly, community driven thing.

Even the final event for men and women was off. Some started standing and had to strap into the rower, others started on it. There's definitely a reason why guys like Stuart Scott and the TNT NBA crew announce things. It flows well. From the spectators point of view it was bleh. Awesome events and amazing athletes but what about an interview with Mikko Salo if he was willing after Event 1? He was a huge draw for me as I've followed his training through any video over the last year. Then he's gone with rumors for 2 days and I haven't seen him since. At least to see what his thoughts are, to hear him say he would be back and training harder than ever. How do you have the Lakers in the NBA finals and Kobe gets possibly hurt and goes to locker 1st quarter and then no follow up on his status. I'm not comparing but in the world of Crossfit - he is that big of a deal. Was there a necessity for the 'satellite' link on the games.crossfit site? It never worked for me.

I'm just ranting now but you've sparked some thoughts on improvements as they move forward and try and put the competition aspect of the game into the category of pro sports. And I'm not questioning the athletes as "athletes". Crossfit and the top guys are legit, no doubt. I'm talking about how I relate it to my mother...
Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

^^Agreed. I was thinking about inviting some friends and family over to watch. But I didn't get ESPN3 and I could barely tell what was going during the livestream so I knew they wouldn't have much of a chance of understanding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
But then again they don't ask me for ideas on how to run their competition
But here's probably the biggest problem.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Crossfit in general tends to have an "elitist" attitude when it comes to their athletes. I like that and understand it. But if they go mainstream with this attitude, everything needs to be elite including the judging.

I have to say it again, Rich & Annie were certainly the "fittest Crossfit athletes over the last few days." I doubt the judging helped or hurt either one of them. But the judging definitely changed a few placings in the middle of the pack.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Paul Victor French

Profile:

I think Im the only one who liked the live feed just as much as last year, minus the first event, and I never watched espn.

The announcer (who slightly annoyed me) did do a good job at letting you know where the athletes were by either asking the judges or just listening to what they shouted out, plus the counter on the side (when it was accurate) let us know too.

I thought I'd miss the lack of announcers but in the end I didn't, I got just as excited this year as I did last. My feed would jump and stop for maybe 30 seconds everything 15 minutes or so, not enough to bother me so I enjoyed how it went this year.

Plus seeing the girls is always an extra treat.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Victor French View Post
I think Im the only one who liked the live feed just as much as last year, minus the first event, and I never watched espn.

The announcer (who slightly annoyed me) did do a good job at letting you know where the athletes were by either asking the judges or just listening to what they shouted out, plus the counter on the side (when it was accurate) let us know too.

I thought I'd miss the lack of announcers but in the end I didn't, I got just as excited this year as I did last. My feed would jump and stop for maybe 30 seconds everything 15 minutes or so, not enough to bother me so I enjoyed how it went this year.

Plus seeing the girls is always an extra treat.
I'm pretty sure the announcer on the floor was Travis Bagent the #1 arm wrestler in the world. Somehow he got connected with HQ a while back.