CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
David Strand

Profile:
Is the Atkins Diet good?

My friend has recently started on the Atkins Diet. I remember back somewhere in the 2000's when it was really popular it had some problems with it, but I don't remember what they were. Basically, I was wondering, for both athletes and average people, what are the benefits and the problems with Atkins?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Is the Atkins Diet good?

my understanding is the Atkins starts as a low CHO diet and then transitions to a more normal intake after 6 weeks or so. The problems were people not resuming normal diet and while on the low CHO eating a lb of bacon and a stick of butter a day. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I think that people are just too stupid to follow a normal diet. Instead of doing what the book says they make the mistake of trying to think before consulting a dietician or their physician who may actually be able to think and give advice.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: Is the Atkins Diet good?

You will lose weight on it if followed correctly but as was stated people tend to think of atkins only in terms of the induction phase. Atkins is a very low carb diet but only for a couple weeks, then you start adding carbs back in. You continue to add carbs until you stop losing weight. This is sort of your break even point. More carbs you get fat, less carbs you lose weight. The mistake people make is they go on atkins then become carb a phobic and just try to stay in the induction phase forever or they start consuming all these "low carb meals" thinking if its low carb I can eat untill I explode.

I dont think its a good diet to go along with improving athletic performance but if you are a couch potato and dont want to get off the couch, the atkins diet will help you lose weight.

There are better methods though.