CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Russell D Wells

Profile:
For the nutrition gurus and supliment people

This is a long winded post, so I apologize on the up front.

My Goal: Now that I have lost a lot of the fat I used to carry, I want to know how to get stronger, and more cut, without blowing/bulking up.

Ok;

My wife and I have been CFing since Feb of this year. We go 5 days a week. I am 6' tall, and when I started, I weighed 180#'s. We did the Whole9 30 day challenge from mid-April to mid-May. When it was all said and done, I had lost 20#s'. This includes what I had lost prior to starting the 30 day challenge.

My profile picture was taken on Fathers day of this year.

I do not measure portions, I could not even begin to tell you how many calories I take in in a day, my weight right now fluctuates between 160-165. I have NO idea what my %BF is.

I eat until I am satisfied, and I stop. I have noticed that I am eating more than I used to when I eat. I am not hungry all the time now like I was when I was on the 30 day challenge.

I have pretty much weaned myself off of processed sugar. I don't eat candy bars, chew gum, no cakes, no ice cream, no cookies, none of that junk.

Anyway, I have added a few things back into my diet, such as:

Rice maybe once or twice a week.

Beer 3-4 times a week. (6-pack a week/ week and a half)

Ezekiel Bread (2 slices) 3-4 times a week.

Honey (maybe 1 tablespoon) 3-4 times a week.

Sun Butter (1.5 Tablespoons) 3-4 times a week.

Larabars (1 a day) 3-4 time a week. (substitute for sweets)

3-4(1 a day) 8.oz glass of skim milk a week.

Other than the above, I eat pretty much the same as I did on the Whole9.

My breakfasts are my post workout meal, and they consist of:

Honey,Ezekiel Bread, Sun Butter, eggs, spinach,red onion, turkey sausage, and coffee.

I switch between that above and Mel's favorite Chili over a sweet potato with a couple of eggs with spinach, red onion, coffee.

I don't eat a lot of fruit, but when I do it is either a Banana, or Apple.

My lunches during the week vary from stuff I bring from home(Clean), to eating out as clean as I can .

My Dinners are mostly eaten at home (Clean) with the occasional dinner out, where I still eat as clean as possible (With the exception of a beer or margarita).

I do drink a lot of water, probably a gallon and a half a day.

I keep reading here that you guys use Whey Protein, Fish oil, vitamins, as well as Creatine, Glutamine and other things to build muscle, and improve recovery. I have always wanted to stay lean, and I fear that if I start adding some of the things that you guys call out, that I am going to balloon.

How do I need to go about adding these supplements correctly.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: For the nutrition gurus and supliment people

You need to build more muscle. Squat and deadlift more. Stop doing long drawn out metcons that serve no purpose and do shorter heavier metcons keep them around 10 minutes. And please eat more. 6' 165 pounds is skinny real skinny. I know you don't want to add more bodyweight but you want to be more cut you need mass that can be cut up.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Darika Siegel

Profile:

I see lots of carbs and sugar, (ezekiel, beer, larabars, honey). I would substitute it with sweet potatoes and lots more veggies. I'm not sure what you are eating for clean lunches and dinners, but try for lean meats and veggies at every meal. I am not paleo so I also do brown rice. I would say you need more protein and more food overall. I do a large salad at least once a day with some lean meat.

As with supplements I do 3g of fish oils a day. I also do 2 whey shakes a day to keep my daily calories high enough. I have a hard time eating enough when it's hot outside.

And try logging in your daily food in something like fitday. So you can keep track of your macronutrients.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell D Wells View Post

I keep reading here that you guys use Whey Protein, Fish oil, vitamins, as well as Creatine, Glutamine and other things to build muscle, and improve recovery. I have always wanted to stay lean, and I fear that if I start adding some of the things that you guys call out, that I am going to balloon.

How do I need to go about adding these supplements correctly.
Having tried for a long time to get big and strong, and finally achieving some success, I can first of all promise you that ballooning is extremely hard. Do you have any idea how much 4000 calories is? And people sometimes need 6k to make good progress.

I recommend less supplementation and more eating to get big. You can try a supp if you like, but be honest with yourself when evaluating if it actually did anything for you. With me, I have to say, creatine, glutamine, BCAAs, blah blah blah GNC crap yada yada... and half of the vitamins and minerals out there- do nothing.

Food is what matters outside of your workouts.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Russell D Wells

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darika Siegel View Post
I see lots of carbs and sugar, (ezekiel, beer, larabars, honey). I would substitute it with sweet potatoes and lots more veggies. I'm not sure what you are eating for clean lunches and dinners, but try for lean meats and veggies at every meal. I am not paleo so I also do brown rice. I would say you need more protein and more food overall. I do a large salad at least once a day with some lean meat.

And try logging in your daily food in something like fitday. So you can keep track of your macronutrients.

You know Darika, I thought the same thing when I read what I wrote yesterday. All of the stuff I have added back into my diet is carbs and sugar. Usually for lunches I eat a huge salad with chicken. I also add in some walnuts and cranberries. It is not unusual for me to eat 3/4 to a whole bag of 5 lettuce salad with carrots, spinach, radishes, and onions. If I eat out at lunch, I always eat chicken for the most part(sometimes beef) and vegetables(a salad, or broccoli, carrots, cauliflower). Dinner is very much the same. Last night we had Red Snapper on the grill, with some squash, and zucchini that was also cooked on the grill. I usually save the sweet potatoes for just after workout, or every once in a while for lunch with a lean meat, or my favorite, Mels Chili. I have sworn off white potatoes, and I do not eat a lot of rice. I have a feeling that I am going to have to swear off of the ezekiel bread because my joints have started hurting again after not having hurt for the last month and a half.

I think some of my problem may be the fact that I do not eat until I am miserable. I eat until I am satisfied, and then stop. I have gone back to eating 3 meals a day because I am not hungry like I was during the 30 day challenge.

Today before workout I had two slices of ezekiel toast, with sun butter and honey, and a cup of coffee. When I got in from working out, I had a decent sized salad about 11:00 am(Not as big as I normally eat) with chicken. I am just now starting to get hungry, and it is 5:40 pm.

RW
Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

if you want muscle and strength ditch eating so clean and hit lifts and hit em hard. Don't eat nothing but garbage, but don't expect chicken salad to get you jacked. I am one inch shorter and 10lbs heavier. Get with the program and man bear pig it up with me. Eat oats instead of lara bars. eat nasty amounts of chicken, beef and pork. Eat the amount of carbs needed to deal with your intake and follow the advice of those who get jacked for a living. eating salad is not going to gain you props except with a yoga class.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

As for nutrition, protien and fat. As for Exercise, heavy compound movements low reps. Getting strong and getting "cut" are not the best combination to try and do at the same time. Hence the problem with the crossfit model for people with specific goals.

You can accomplish a lot using crossfit, but once you start moving towards specific goals you need to tailor your program towards those goals which means sometimes giving up a little of something to focus more on something else.

If you want to get "cut" start browsing around some bodybuilding forums. If you want to get strong start browsing around some powerlifting forums. Crossfit is a general fitness program that will get you generaly pretty good at everything. Sounds like you are at a point where you want to focus on some goals so go to the source.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Mr. Wells,

i would just like to encourage you to be realistic about your goals and expectations. you mentioned in another thread that you are in your mid to late 40's. If this is the case, your not going to be able to do the same things a 20 yr old does and expect the same results. your HGH and testosterone levels are not as high as they once were. your metabolism and recovery time are also not going to be as fast. this is not meant to discourage you, but just to point out that if you truly want to acheive certain goals it is going to take more time, dedication, and sacrifice. in order for you to become "cut", you may have to have a nearly perfect diet all the time, getting rid of the regular beer, eating out, bread, etc. only you can decide if the payoff is worth the tradeoff, and if gaining the one will increase your quality of life more than losing the other. take a look at the competitors in the masters division of the CF games. they are awesome athletes, in great shape, and look really fit. but they are not exactly as cut or buff as the athletes that are in their 20's and low 30's. same goes for bodybuilders, powerlifters, and other athletes.

set realistic goals and work towards those. but be able to celebrate the daily victories and small steps of progress, and when it comes to changes or results be patient and persistent. congrats on the improvements you have already made.