CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Severely obese kids and foster care...

Just a further expansion of the nanny state that people seem to keep voting for in the US.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Just a further expansion of the nanny state that people seem to keep voting for in the US.
Heh, if you think the USA has a "nanny state" you are not terribly familiar with the politics of every other developed country in the world. We have a nanny state if you're talking about an abusive nanny who beats her poorest wards over the head and then throws them outside to the wolves, while sucking up to the rich ones and baking them cakes.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Heh, if you think the USA has a "nanny state" you are not terribly familiar with the politics of every other developed country in the world.

The majority of spending in the US is on social programs. Just 3 programs make up over 50% of total spending by the US government. And I'm familiar with the politics of other countries and how many of them are in a worse financial situation then we are here, but we'll catch up with them. As has been pointed out the main issue with our form of government is once people figure out they can vote themselves a pay raise we are pretty much screwed.

As for the obesity in children, blame both the parents and heavy government involvement in our food chain. See people like cheap food and the government like a good parent is happy to provide. And like many parents the government doesn't always make the best choices, but they will make choices that help them get elected next cycle. So I find it ironic that one of the partners in the fighting obesity issue is also one of the partners in its causes.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
Aaron Lengel

Profile:

I think topics like this are hard to discuss because people cast blanket judgments over entire groups of people. It seems like when someone says "obesity" we draw from our experience of either struggling with it or not struggling with it and then assume it's like that for others.

From the article, "Severe obesity, characterized by a body mass index
(BMI) at or beyond the 99th percentile, represents a fundamentally different situation. Whereas typical children consume about 100 kilocalories per day more than requirements state, the energy imbalance for severely obese children may exceed 1000 kilocalories per day, suggesting profoundly dysfunctional eating and activity habits."

When I think about it from the standpoint of kids receiving 10 times more than other kids that are still averaging more than what's recommended it's mind boggling... it's really hard for me to comprehend how much that is based on how I was raised and live. I hope it's eye opening for people though and I think something needs to be done. However, as others have pointed out foster care is not a great alternative.

I think it comes down to the question... How do you get a group of people to change their behavior? I don't have a good answer but the reality for these kids is they will suffer from really sucky medical conditions and die a lot earlier than they should.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Lengel View Post
I think it comes down to the question... How do you get a group of people to change their behavior? I don't have a good answer but the reality for these kids is they will suffer from really sucky medical conditions and die a lot earlier than they should.
Clearly... but for the most part severe obesity seems to be correlated with all sorts of other social and/or family dysfunctions, so much so that it might be more accurate to see it (especially in children) as a symptom, rather than a result.

Katherine
Old 07-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #16
Ryan Shewchuk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Daley View Post
...Welcome to the matrix.
So true.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Shewchuk View Post
I didn't mean force feeding. Overfeeding would be too many calories for that child resulting in obesity. I was fat too, but then again so are my brothers. Giving a child so many excess calories on a consistent basis that it causes morbid obesity is abuse, intentional or not. And the foster kids I have seen aren't exactly not fat. The answer might be getting rid of dual income households so the parents have time and energy to cook at home and not eat the easy, and usually high calorie choice.
Do what? So you're going to tell someone they can't go out and earn a living because they have kids? That they can't try to better their financial and living situation and earn more money so that there kids live in a nice place and have nice things because it takes time and energy away from cooking dinner? That's just moronic, I'm sorry. Not trying to be inflammatory but come on. Let's go back to the 1950's and shun women that work.
Most people are ignorant of proper nutrition and just feed their child what they grew up eating. That's not freaking abuse.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #18
Ryan Shewchuk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Do what? So you're going to tell someone they can't go out and earn a living because they have kids? That they can't try to better their financial and living situation and earn more money so that there kids live in a nice place and have nice things because it takes time and energy away from cooking dinner? That's just moronic, I'm sorry. Not trying to be inflammatory but come on. Let's go back to the 1950's and shun women that work.
Most people are ignorant of proper nutrition and just feed their child what they grew up eating. That's not freaking abuse.
Nice "THINGS". This is exactly what I am talking about. Both parents go to work to
Old 07-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #19
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Shewchuk View Post
Nice "THINGS". This is exactly what I am talking about. Both parents go to work to
What's wrong with having nice things? I like having them. I know plenty of kids that like having them. I don't see why that's not something worthy to want or to provide for your family.
I guess my son and I could sell my house and move to some military barracks with spartan accomodations. Then we'll just spend all day working out and eating paleo. No obese problem then and I'll be the frickin' father of the year here!

And you said the answer may be getting rid of dual income households. Which I think is moronic to say that you can't have a healthy life with both parents working and making money. And it'd also be incredibly wrong to force on people and would never ever happen anyway. "Sorry lady. Your kid is a little pudgy! Quit your job and play Suzie Homemaker all day or you're going away for 25 to life!"

Last edited by Jason R O'Dell : 07-15-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Everyone here should do a bit of research on exactly what kind of household produces severely obese kids...

It's much more likely that neither parent is employed -- if both parents are even present -- than that both parents are working long hours. It's also very likely that the family is living in a place that no one from a developed country would call "nice."

Katherine