CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #21
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Lower Fat vs Lower Carb study

Can you give us an example of an elite cf athlete who does adhere to that type of a diet while training/competing?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #22
Jason Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Can you give us an example of a cf games athlete who does adhere to that type of a diet while training/competing for the games?
Russel Berger, Jason Kahlipa....

Maybe more importantly... a great many firebreathing ordinary crossfit folks. At my cert at least 80% of the people there were chowing down meat, nuts, seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar.

Last edited by Jason Martin : 07-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #23
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Martin View Post
Russel Berger, Jason Kahlipa....

Maybe more importantly... a great many firebreathing ordinary crossfit folks. At my cert at least 80% of the people there were chowing down meat, nuts, seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar.
http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/04/...amp.tpl#_login

Oat bran, mashed potatoes and sandwiches are totally low carb...

Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #24
Dave Tate

Profile:

Quote:
Sure.

....Regardless, a low carb/zone/paleo diet is advocated in the CFL1 cert and has been adopted by many many athletes that perform optimally on it. Can you explain why this might be? Or are they all just genetic anomalies?
Yeah I'll take results over rhetoric every single time. A carb-heavy diet makes sense for elite marathoners who run 125+ miles a week. Elite Kenyan distance runners eat 600g of carbs per day and get a ton of their calories from sugar. So is that what we should do? It sure doesn't seem necessary for people who mostly do resistance training and small amount of cardio/interval training.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #25
Jason Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/04/...amp.tpl#_login

Oat bran, mashed potatoes and sandwiches are totally low carb...

I just completed the cert with both of them. Sorry, I don't have a link.

We can dance around all day, but the fact remains that there are thousands of crossfitters out there doing low carb high protein/fat, performing optimally. Regardless of the text book nutritional analysis, it seems to be working. This is the reason the CF advocates it as far as I can tell. I just wonder how this can be explained. If there was a clear advantage to eating low fat high carb (or some other way) this would be obvious because of the way we are able to measure our progress and output.

Last edited by Jason Martin : 07-13-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #26
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
...but the fact remains that there are thousands of crossfitters out there doing low carb high protein/fat, performing optimally. Regardless of the text book nutritional analysis, it seems to be working. This is the reason the CF advocates it as far as I can tell. I just wonder how this can be explained.
There is no need to explain something that has not been demonstrated. It is not enough for you to simply claim it. First of all, the ONLY description of anyone's diet is an accurate food log. Not what they report and not what they label it. Do you know for a fact what these thousands of crossfitters actually eat? And do you understand how difficult it is for any individual to know that they are performing "optimally?" We're talking about very time-consuming personal experimentation, and even then it will be lacking controls.

And all it takes for CF to officially advocate something is for Greg Glassman to say it should be advocated. Period. Not because there is any evidence, empirical or otherwise, that it actually works.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #27
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I just completed the cert with both of them. Sorry, I don't have a link.

We can dance around all day, but the fact remains that there are thousands of crossfitters out there doing low carb high protein/fat, performing optimally.
You keep increasing the numbers of these hypothetical athletes, but so far haven't actually demonstrated that any of them exist.

You also haven't demonstrated that they are performing "optimally," and you haven't looked at the thousands of crossfitters who are *also* performing "optimally" even though they *aren't* eating a low carb, high protein/fat diet. Nor have you addressed the abundant evidence, on this board and elsewhere, from athletes who find that low carb diets are disastrous for them.

Katherine
Old 07-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #28
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #29
Jason Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You keep increasing the numbers of these hypothetical athletes, but so far haven't actually demonstrated that any of them exist.

You also haven't demonstrated that they are performing "optimally," and you haven't looked at the thousands of crossfitters who are *also* performing "optimally" even though they *aren't* eating a low carb, high protein/fat diet. Nor have you addressed the abundant evidence, on this board and elsewhere, from athletes who find that low carb diets are disastrous for them.

Katherine
I am going out on a limb.... to suggest that there are a substantial number of crossfitters that follow the diet that is prescribed by Crossfit?

I don't think I am.

Are those people achieving elite level fitness through Crossfit and the prescribed diet? Again, I don't think that is an unreasonable assumption that at least a few are. If the claim here is that a low carb diet is not optimal, why are optimal results being achieved?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #30
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I am going out on a limb.... to suggest that there are a substantial number of crossfitters that follow the diet that is prescribed by Crossfit?

I don't think I am.

Are those people achieving elite level fitness through Crossfit and the prescribed diet? Again, I don't think that is an unreasonable assumption that at least a few are. If the claim here is that a low carb diet is not optimal, why are optimal results being achieved?
Well first, I'm still waiting for evidence that they are.

And second, "optimal" implies that the low carb diet achieves *better* results than other diets, which is an even higher bar. Indeed, if half of the top twenty Crossfitters are following a low carb diet (which I doubt) and half are not, then the low carb diet would only have demonstrated that it's no worse than the alternatives, not that it's "optimal."

Katherine