CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Chris Kidd

Profile:
Advice on programming

First off my numbers. I am 36 y/o, 5'8", 175lbs. My strength numbers are: Press-160lbs., Squat-290lb. and DL-300lbs. I have been doing CF scaled for about 6 months. I have decided to do a cycle of SS to increase strength levels. I am also going to throw in 1 or 2 metcons per week to at least keep the metcon progress I have made. My question is, which metcons would be best to use without negatively impacting strength gains? I have searched the boards but all I found was what Rip said in the book that Cindy was a good choice. However, I would like a good variety to use. Since Cindy is basically an all bodyweight workout, should I just choose some of the girls that are also all bodyweight or are there some of the others with light weights that I could use?

One final question. Do my strength numbers warrant a SS cycle?

Thanks guys and gals. I know this is kind of a long post (sorry) and I hope it comprehensible.

Chris
Old 07-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Advice on programming

Your numbers don't dicate what level you are for programming, you ability to adapt to training does. Try the linear model first. If that doesn't work, move on to an intermediate program (Look at Practical programming, Gants hybrid workout, RIps qa column, or ask here again).

As far as metcons, Rip suggest 1 named workout != Three bars of death. Try that for 2 weeks, if you aren;t over training, add 1 more named workout != three bars of death. Never go over 2.

Or you could try the above mentioned Hybrid programms from Gant. Jeff martin has also done some good work on hybrids at Crossfit kids, maybe he'll chime in.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Jack Germain

Profile:

Just to clarify if it isn't apparent, the != means not, so don't use the three bars of death. You don't want to overtrain.

I'm sorry, but it took me a while to figure out
Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Chris Kidd

Profile:

Yeah I'm hoping both Grant and Jeff will both contribute to this thread. I have read the thread on Grant's hybrid but being a dense headed person, I couldn't really understand it. Though I would to. I would also like to gain more insight into Jeff Martin's hybrid as well. How do my numbers stack up to an average CFitter?

Thanks for the replied guys.

Chris