CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
After 5+ years of bodybuilding routines I decided to give CrossFit a try. I've been doing crossfit for over 5 weeks now and it was easy to fall in love with it.

However, I find my lifestyle to be very sedentary (sitting 6+ hours), so my only exercises comes from CrossFit. I switched to The Zone and i've leaned down even more, very good progress indeed.

My question is:

Considering my back issues I don't max out, so I modify any of the WOD that include (2-2-2-2...) or (1-1-1-..) etc, and all else I tend to do as Rx'd. Assuming I stick to the zone, boosting some of the blocks, fats, etc... and continue my WOD's with some modifications (weight wise), can I accomplish my goals of basically gaining 10lbs of lean muscle?

That's all I'm looking for really, and i'll be satisfied :-)

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Frank,

I am fairly confident that by following the WOD and dialing in your nutrition you'll gain 10 lbs of lbm. The key to your progress is going to be in the intensity of your workouts. Obviously you can't work out at max intensity 6 days a week, but explore your personal limitations. Over the past couple of months I've put on about 5-6 lb of muscle using just the WOD and a paleo style of eating. Recently I've added a couple more pounds by modifying my routine to include two 5X5 strength training days. Anyway, the short of it is that your goal is definitely attainable using CF and The Zone (so long as your getting enough rest, calories, and protein).
Old 03-02-2006, 05:02 AM   #3
Frank Menendez

Profile:
So you added two additional days of stregth training apart from the 3 days of CrossFit or you replaced some of the CrossFit WOD with 5x5?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
Brian Nesmith

Profile:
Frank, I've been following the WOD's with some occasional modification and some supplementation (extra off days, extra frog stands, front squats etc, just now and then.)

I eat paleo but with zone type snacks.

I've gained at least 5 solid pounds and maybe 7. Problem being I didn't want to gain the mass! My clothes don't fit as well and muscleups are harder now!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

Goal: gain ten pounds of lean muscle.
You don;t say what you weigh now or your height, so we can't really tell how much muscle you have on your frame. If you've been body building for 5 years you probalbly have a fair amount of muscle now. Gaining 7 pounds of lean muscle in a year-drug free- is usually consided outstanding and mainly happens in beginning weighttraining/bodybuilding. So ten pounds in a year. Probabably not. 10 in two years, maybe. 10 in three years probably. Now you can gain mass, but lean muscle is a slow process. Intense workouts or heavy workouts,will be needed. Proper rest and most important-in my opinion-is going to be your diet. Consistant monitoring of protien and calories, ect will me very important.
It can be done, it will just take some time.
Dave R.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:55 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Frank, I love your enthusiasm...but your kind of like a kid in a candy store: "that one, no that one, five of these, come on mom NOW!!!" Stick with the WOD/Zone for 6 months, you have the rest of your life to tinker with your fitness, 6 months is nothing. Now evaluate your performance and design extra workouts to address your weaknesses. You will gain 10 lbs of muscle, be patient...I already know your disciplined learn patience.