CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Adam Castagno

Profile:
"different" diet question/opinion

Hi, I have a somewhat different but kind of interesting question which I am looking for some opinions on. A little background into the Q, started CF first of this past April, was not planning on going paleo, however everyone convinced me to do, that CF and paleo go hand in hand, which it has. Since that time I feel I have been pretty right on without much deviation, other than I do drink milk daily, occ use cream in coffee and... this is where I am looking for opinions: I seem it hard to not add non paleo ingredients to when I cook my food. The non paleo ingredients tend to be a seasoning which contains salt, or sauces (BBQ/liquid spice types). I cook my chicken for the whole week usualy monday am, so as you can imagine it can get pretty boring, what do most of you think about ingredients such as this? I do use them sparingly but doubt I could not use them at all since the chicken needs flavor.
My next Q which is somewhat dumb is, lately I have been craving Pasta, haven't had in it Mo's now.... Now I know most of you will just say to eat it, not the answer I am looking for. Do you think I would be better of cheating with pasta or these sauce/seasoning things I do?
This is the same predicament I find myself in when I go out to eat, usually my cheat tends to come from some sort of sauce I have on my food, rather than eating rice/pasta etc... ie Mole (spelling?) sauce on my mexican chicken dish.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Zach S

Profile:
Re: "different" diet question/opinion

I think your on the road to orthorexia. Seasonings are perfectly fine as long as your not buying the cheapest kinds possible with HFCS or MSG in them, using real spices and salt is good and you can buy bbq sauce or other sauces that have minimal ingredients. As for pasta, buy gluten free if your worried about that and eat some pasta! One cheat meal like this will not effect you negatively in any way and will probably help you because you will eliminate that craving. Having constant cravings can cause cortisol to rise which i think is far more detrimental then the occasional grain meal.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Brandon Sligh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
Hi, I have a somewhat different but kind of interesting question which I am looking for some opinions on. A little background into the Q, started CF first of this past April, was not planning on going paleo, however everyone convinced me to do, that CF and paleo go hand in hand, which it has. Since that time I feel I have been pretty right on without much deviation, other than I do drink milk daily, occ use cream in coffee and... this is where I am looking for opinions: I seem it hard to not add non paleo ingredients to when I cook my food. The non paleo ingredients tend to be a seasoning which contains salt, or sauces (BBQ/liquid spice types). I cook my chicken for the whole week usualy monday am, so as you can imagine it can get pretty boring, what do most of you think about ingredients such as this? I do use them sparingly but doubt I could not use them at all since the chicken needs flavor.
My next Q which is somewhat dumb is, lately I have been craving Pasta, haven't had in it Mo's now.... Now I know most of you will just say to eat it, not the answer I am looking for. Do you think I would be better of cheating with pasta or these sauce/seasoning things I do?
This is the same predicament I find myself in when I go out to eat, usually my cheat tends to come from some sort of sauce I have on my food, rather than eating rice/pasta etc... ie Mole (spelling?) sauce on my mexican chicken dish.

Thanks
Seasonings are perfectly fine as long as you do not over use them. They are not going to hurt you that much unless you are dipping your chicken in a bowl of bbq sauce or just using it too much. Sometimes just eating something you like or have a craving for is alright. I do this all the time because I know that I am working that hard that it will not ruin my entire body.

I would say you can cheat using both of them. Do not just make it only one thing you have to do, try and just enjoy what you eat sometimes.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Stephanie Arseneault

Profile:

I agree with the above replies. These could also help you : http://paleofood.com/marinade.htm (WFS) and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-bbq-sauce/ (WFS).
Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

It depends on how strict you are being, if you want to go completely paleo then you should only have herbs, some rock or sea salt sparingly, any bottled sauces are going to contain sweeteners, sodium or gluten and so wouldn't be allowable by a strict paleo diet.

If you are being a bit less strict pre-mixed herbs and spices containing salt or sugar are probably going to be of little concern, but you should definitely stay away from sauces. look at salad dressings for the most part you can ruin the healthfulness of a salad just by adding a crappy dressing, sauces are one of the easy things to overdo on, and a quick way to ruin a good diet.

If you want to be super casual paleo (or not paleo at all really, but calling it paleo), then you could include sauces, but as above, be careful to read the ingredients most will include soy lectin or oil, gluten (almost all bbq and soy sauces have gluten/wheat as a thickener), sweeteners, or salt. A safe rule is if it has more than 3 ingredients, and if salt or sugar make up more than 1/3 of the mix, stay away. Same deal for pasta, if you are going to do a rare cheat do the real thing, but if its going to be a staple of your diet it is a) not paleo, b) probably worth looking at gluten free options, preferably from rice or coconut flour.

Personally, I use a lot of salsa or chutneys made purely from veggies/fruits when I want to cook my meat in something.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Zach S

Profile:

As a side note, if anyone likes soy sauce, check of braggs liquid aminos. Better then soy sauce and basically nothing but soy aminos.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Thanks for all the inputs... although I knew ahead of time just about everyone would say who cares eat this/cheat that "unless your being strict...etc" its all still helpful. Since I am doing CF and paleo on my own, sometime the message boards are all I have to ask even the most rediculous of questions.

I use and probably still will be using all the things I previously have been.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Sauces that come out of jars are an extremely recent invention. Traditional food cultures mostly use spices (seeds), herbs (leaves), salsas and chutneys (fruit, vegetables), and natural sugars (honey, fruit juice) to flavor their food. All of these are paleo, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm not going to tell you can't use seasonings from a jar. But if you read the labels and don't like what you see, there are plenty of better alternatives than doing without.

Katherine
Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

You could always make your own sauces. Your food shouldnt be boring and you shouldnt feel like you are cheating. If you don't like the answer of its ok to eat something tasty without feeling like you let the message board down then just look around the net for some recipes or get creative and make your own sauce you might be surprised at what you can create and still be within whatever parameters you have set for yourself.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Mike Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
As a side note, if anyone likes soy sauce, check of braggs liquid aminos. Better then soy sauce and basically nothing but soy aminos.
Agreed, after you eat Bragg's for a while regular soy sauce tastes nasty.