CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Shane Lawrence

Profile:
"When the body is forced to use protein for fuel it results in toxicity"

hmmm....
"When the body is forced to use protein for fuel it results in toxicity"

Any basis in this? General chemistry of protien breakdown resulting in ammonia and urea... but to call it toxicity? Thats why we have kidneys right?

Seeing this claim on probars site. They make some really good (mostly) raw, (mostly) organic, (mostly) whole nonprocessed food bars.
That taste awesome.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Steve Bray

Profile:
Re: "When the body is forced to use protein for fuel it results in toxicity"

anything in large doses is toxic in a way.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Zach S

Profile:

Well you WILL die if you eat nothing but protein. I think they are trying to get across that protein is the worst of the three macros for energy but i havnt read the article or whatever so dont really know.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Chris Stroud

Profile:

Your body will only use protein as the fuel substrate should you be starving - the real starving, not just hungry. You would need to burn through all of your muscle and liver glycogen before this starts to happen.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Google "rabbit starvation"
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

As long as you add in sufficient fat, you can live on fat and protein your whole life with no plant matter what so ever. Lots of people do it. Just doesn't sound like an enjoyable plan.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
As long as you add in sufficient fat, you can live on fat and protein your whole life with no plant matter what so ever. Lots of people do it. Just doesn't sound like an enjoyable plan.
Very very few people eat no carbs.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
Please identify those people.

Katherine
Old 07-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

True, very few people compared to the general population. But there are people who do it, just as there are people who eat only fruit and survive. I'm not saying this is a great way to go just that by their own accounts thats what they do.

As for who specifically just google it. Here is one source, http://zerocarbpath.blogspot.com/ wfs there are others but I see no need to do all the work here haha. Its possible by their claims not mine but I think anyone who has any knowledge of nutrition at all knows you dont NEED fruit and vegetables to live. Personaly I wouldnt want to eat this way but it seems to work for some.

Here is a site for fruitarian folks. http://www.thefruitarian.com/ This is why I laugh at all these debates on here about the best way to eat. If a diet of table sugar works for you then have it. There is no one way to eat. Its just your way, whatever that may be.

Also rabbit starvation occures in the absence of fat. IF I remember correctly that term got started because a trapper ate rabbit meat but he only ate the lean muscle instead of the all the rabbit including the organ meats eyes etc.. My memory may have failed me but I do know protein by itself is bad, protein plus fat is good. Please dont make me do an essay on Rabbit Starvation..............

Last edited by Rob Samuels : 07-13-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

I raise rabbits to eat them. A lot of them. Have since I was a teenager, once to twice a week. Rabbit starvation is the the combination of lack of fat-soluble vitamins from eating exclusively super-lean proteins like rabbit or caribou, lack of other macro nutrients in the diet, and/or ketoacidosis from eating nothing BUT rabbit. (again, anything in excess...)

Rabbit is actually an exceptionally healthy part of a well balanced paleo diet =)

I was really just looking for the opinions of repeatedly hitting the wall, like 2-3 times a week, causing a semi-permanent ketosis-type state, and not replenishing glycogen stores appropriately post workout.
Results in fatigue, lack of muscle tone, dehydration

I have been working more towards food with more whole grains, raw foods, unprocessed natural organic stuff, and feel lots better for it. Its not paleo, but is is working for me.