CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-20-2006, 03:53 AM   #1
John Frazer

Profile:
I can't find the thread where someone asked about this, but I had sinus surgery a couple weeks ago and was told not to exercise for 2 weeks due to risk of popping stitches, etc.

Last night was the night I was OK to go again so I started off with (what else?) testing my pullups. I found I'd gone from 11 to 9 over 2 weeks.

Ring dips also suffered but I didn't really push those--trying to "ease" into it, whatever that means.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
It should come back quite quickly after only two weeks. I would think within days of coming back from such a short layoff.

In fact sometimes those layoffs actually spur additional progress in the long run.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
John Frazer

Profile:
Also lost several pounds off my bench press, and a few pullups off my max. But my front squat was pretty close to where it was.

I've always had trouble gaining & maintaining upper body strength compared to hips & legs -- probably because even if we don't do leg workouts, we still have to walk around.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
Mark Reinke

Profile:
Keep in mind that your body will re-adapt much quicker to your previous output much more quickly than someone who has never been there before. Two weeks won't kill you or hinder your progress. As craig said, "those layoffs actually spur additional progress in the long run." Especially for someone who may have been doing too much. In the event that I take a week break or so, I notice my focus is much more on track with the return to a program.

mark
Old 04-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
John Frazer

Profile:
Yeah, I've had great results from 3-5 day layoffs (usually involuntary due to work, school, flu, etc.) but hadn't been off this long in a long time so I thought the results were interesting.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
John Frazer

Profile:
Latest result was different -- did a "Half Murph" (half the distance for the runs, half the reps, half the weight in the vest) tonight, about 10% faster than February.

I did it in a park instead of my upstairs hallway, so the run course was different -- maybe a little shorter, but not THAT much shorter.

JF