CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:12 AM   #1
Shane Tucker

Profile:
I have usually done strength-oriented weight lifting, centered more around heavy lifting with fewer reps. I've been doing the WOD for a little over a week and it is really kicking my butt. What I was wanting to know is if anyone has made the switch like I have and if so, what has been the effect on your 1RM on basic lifts like squat, bench, power clean, etc.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
Paul Symes

Profile:
Shane

I haven't been doing it long enough to have tested my 1RM yet but I'll check it soon. I'm like you I was strength training, usually 5 X 5 or HST style workouts. I don't know if I'm getting stronger but my fitness is going skyward.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Shane Tucker

Profile:
Paul,

The 5x5 is usually what I was doing too. I'm like you, I haven't really been doing it long enough to tell the effects, but I feel like it really is going to be more functional strength instead of having the ability to move a lot of weight one time, but suffer in the fitness department.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:29 AM   #4
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
Shane

i have been doing CF for a while now and my 1RM has not gone up, if anything it has dropped a bit. i was also doing strength lifting before, but i defiatly feel a heck of a lot stronger, and i have increased on my things like my 10RM and in movement strength.

tanner
Old 09-17-2004, 04:46 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I was also strength obsessed and wondered about all of the high rep training in CF. My 1 rep max bench press has decreased but my 1 rm for other lifts have increased. When you really think about it, 1 RM doesn't translate well into the real world, strengh endurance and anerobic threshold do.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:59 AM   #6
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
My guess is that the newer you are to exercise, the greater the gains in 1RM will be. If you've already strength trained and attained quite a high level, it is likely that you'll only maintain or regress slightly.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:32 AM   #7
Shane Tucker

Profile:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I figured that my 1RM would eventually drop if I continued doing WOD, but like Larry says, a 1RM doesn't really translate that well into the real world. I know that when I wrestle, I am usually a lot stronger than my opponent, but if I don't get a quick win, I start to become fatigued fairly quickly. I thing that a good 10RM would translate better for activities like wrestling, which require anaerobic endurance and aerobic conditioning.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:38 AM   #8
John Walsh

Profile:
All my one rep lifts have gone down significantly. I was an overweight, out of shape powerlifter. I lost 25 pounds of fat and all my multi-rep exercises have increased. Couldn't even do one handstand push up. Now I can rattle off 20. Couldn't do more than 5 pullps even though I pulled 600 pounds. Now I can do over 20. I am much better conditioned for a variety of sports and demands of day to day life. It was worth the trade off for lower PL lifts.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:49 AM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I've thought about this, and I think the best way to approach it is by considering Powerlifting as a sport. If you played hockey, and didn't practice, you wouldn't get better and you would probably get worse.

We do a lot of deadlifts, and my deadlift improved when I was doing only the WOD and doing it consistently. My Bench and Back Squat went down slightly, maybe 10-15%. Think of those moves as your sport. The basic model I use is CrossFit WOD+X, where X in this case would be the powerlifting movements.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:50 AM   #10
Shane Tucker

Profile:
Barry,
I've thought about doing that as well, adding in heavy lifting to the WOD. But like I said before, I don't think that the 1RM is all that helpful in anything besides competitive powerlifting, but I think where I have lifted heavy for years, it is a mental thing with letting my max go down. :-)