CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Danny Noonan

Profile:
Vegetarian diet and power-hitting

I know vegetarian diets have been discussed here before, but I have a more specific question. I read in the news today that Milwaukee Brewers' chubby slugger Prince Fielder has gone vegetarian. Last season, Prince was the youngest player ever to clout 50 dingers in a season. He's often criticized for being too fat, partly because his father's major league career was cut short by fatness. But prince is not as fat as Cecil. One of his homeruns last year was an inside-the-park homer!

So my question is, do you guys thing Prince is going to suffer a significant loss in power this season if he keeps this vegetarian thing up? Even with the help of a major league nutritionist?

Article (safe for work): http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=720531
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Justin Algera

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian diet and power-hitting

I doubt it... Althought a vegetarian diet probably isnt the best idea, much like the Olympic lifts, hitting a homerun is more about the technique in hitting the ball rather than pure brute strength. Look at Ken Griffey Jr., Alex Rodriguez, pre-roid Bonds, Manny Ramirez, etc. for examples. Him losing weight will only make him a more complete player, still being able to hit the long ball. Plus you can get enough protein (although again, not the best) as a vegetarian if you eat the right stuff.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian diet and power-hitting

I think a vegetarian diet, provided it's still getting you the right macros and whatnot, can be just about as effective as a non-vegetarian one. I think the quality of the protein is a big deal -- for me, anyways -- so I prefer animal protein to soy.

But there was an article in the AZ Republic some time ago about a MMA fighter (forget the name) who recently went Vegan. After reading the article, it turns out he was actually doing a vegetarian diet, and the editor had no real idea what "Vegan" meant.

I think eating vegetarian is significantly more difficult than not eating vegetarian, and perhaps this is a commentary on what we, as humans, were really meant to be eating. But in the end, there are plenty of tremendous success stories that have come from a vegetarian diet. On a personal level, it was about 1 year of not eating meat that got me started into being healthier and more fit.