CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-21-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Brandt Stickley

Profile:

I've been trying to keep my arms parallel to the ground throughout any set of squats (when I diverge from the pattern I feel like i'm cheating). I noticed lots of arm swinging in the video today. Can I give myself a break? Is there a kipping pullups analogy to swinging the arms? Thanks.
-Brandt
Old 02-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Brandt,

There is no doubt that swinging the arms produces momentum (to test this, stand still and swing your arms as if running - you'll notice you naturally start to lean forward). However, my suspicion is that more than anything else, arm swinging during Tabata squats is a psychological thing. Let's face it, Tabata squats (or anything) are mentally challenging enough, without self-enforced arms parallel to the ground!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Brandt,

I'm with Peter, there is momentum developed with your arm movement but it does not compliment the movement enough to give you sufficient assistance to be considered cheating. I find the arm movement assists my rhythm and balance but not execution. Do remember to pull yourself down into the hole with your hip flexors rather than just collapsing with gravity, keep head and eyes forward, maintain that arch in your back, sink down into the hole between your knees and keep your weight on your heels. When you come back up don't short the movement by not making your legs go straight and for a real treat do bottom to bottom Tabata squats where you do your 10 second "rest" on the bottom (off your haunches) rather than the top. Very hard to do this without making noise. Expect a sharp drop in your score.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
I also noticed the arm movement. When I do squats I try to keep my arms in front, like the exercise clip.

After watching the arm swings, I am wondering if swinging would help initiate the hip motion. As I understand it, there supposed to be extensive hip thrust at the top of the squat. I notice as I get into the rounds, this thurst tends to diminish.

I think that if I were to swing my arms back (as Annie(?) does in the video), it would help me maintain the hip thrust.

I defer to the many experts for confirmation/correction.

Thansk!
Old 02-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Laura Rucker

Profile:
It's not the squats I need assistance with - I keep my hands at my chest while moving. It's sitting at the bottom for 10 excruciating seconds! Maybe I should find something to distract myself during THAT interval....maybe sticking my finger in my eye...
Old 02-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
Brandt Stickley

Profile:

Thanks everybody: next time I'll be swinging my arms with abandon.

The bottom rest is not all the way in the hole, right? It's a little higher, something like a horse stance? That should drop my scores precipitously (as if they don't do so on their own already!).
-Brandt
Old 02-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
It is a little lower than horse stance - below parallel to the ground. It is the bottom of the squat before your back rounds or you collapse.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:02 AM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I say just do whatever Annie Sakamoto does. Unbelievable!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
Matt Schwartz

Profile:

Personally, I'm not a supporter of arm swinging. Unlike the kipping pullup it isn't functional. When I'm doing tabata squats my goal is to work my lower body as hard as possible *not* to get the highest tabata numbers by manipulating my form. This is my own personal philosphy. No disaparagement intended on those who do otherwise. Take care all,
Matt
Old 02-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
Karl Steadman

Profile:
I tend to follow how Matt does it, i put my hands on top of my head and (try to!) batter through the sets. Just a personal thing also, but i don't like the whole "swing" thing. I'm by no means saying that doing the swing is wrong, i guess it's just down to personal preference?

Karl