CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
Kim Graves

Profile:
Hi Gang,

I'm new to Crossfit - my first month. I'm just taking a ramp up class at CrossfitNYC.

I've been diagnosed with a stress fracture in the ankle apparently caused by jumps doing burppies - I was trying to jump as high as I could every time. From what I can figure out this is a case of "too much too soon." The general rule, my doc says, is not more than 10% increase in stress per week. That's what your body can tolerate.

So for those of you starting out, realize that there is a potential danger in going all out initially. (Especially true if you're older - I'm 49 - though I thought I was in reasonable shape.)I'm out for 4-12 weeks and can do no weight work. I'm limited to upper body work - pullups, pushups and situps and am going to try swimming. Unless someone has any other suggestions. Thanks.

Best, Kim

Old 06-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Unfortunatley Kim Rest is the best cure for these things. Keep up with the upperbody stuff to keep you cardiovascular conditioning up while your limited, and when you come back full speed the strength will come much quicker.