CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Bill Huffman

Profile:  
Let me first say, the WOD's work me pretty good. And I love it...Thank you! My question is :

If my primary goal is to achieve overall fitness to complement my active lifestyle (surfing, tennis, hiking, etc.), are the WOD' enough, or should I add other types of training (ex: added resistance training, cardio, flexibility, etc.)?

Do most of the insane machines posting superhuman times strictly do just the WOD's or do they add more?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
Daniel Foster

Profile:
Hi Bill i am far from insane machine posting superhuman but i basically stick to the WOD.I will sometimes do extra skill work after the WOD if i am not to taxed from the workout.The rest of the time i train in my sport which is Brazilian jiu jitsu so that covers any extra cardio that i might need.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Bill, as far as added resistance training or cardio I would say that you are taken care of given your past-times. If you have spare energy, time etc after the wod just do the stuff you enjoy doing - or play with any one of the new skills CrossFit has exposed you to ... gymnastics, O-lifting etc, it's all good. Stretching on the other hand is something you should be doing anyway - it's not prescribed but neither is brushing your teeth or looking both ways before you cross the street - just common sense really when you beat yourself up like the wods do.

So far as the CF monsters, what they do is probably not all that relevant to you unless your goal is to be one as well. If your primary goal is to develop fitness to complement your interests then WOD hard, recover smart and enjoy the things you enjoy.

Cheers, kempie
Old 08-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Russ Greene

Profile:

If you have enough energy, time, and willpower to do more, these activites will pay off the most:

1. running sprints with long rest periods, focusing on form. Everyone can benefit from getting faster, and good running form comes hand in hand with good olympic lifting form.

2. Snatches and clean and jerks. Light to practice the movement, then heavy to develop the power, strength, and speed.

3. Gymnastics. Tumbling, handstands, levers, planches, muscleups, l-holds, rope climbing.

Do not focus on punishing yourself with stupidly high quantities of work, but instead focus on getting lots of high quality practice on fundamental movements. Learning how to run, lift, and do gymnastics more efficiently and more powerfully will pay off significantly in your overall fitness level.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
I typically do the WOD, then do either (or a combo of):

A) BJJ and Muay Thai
B) Sandbag drills
C) Water Skiing
D) Olympic lift practice, or Deadlift practice (I struggle with Deads)
E) Bodyweight Endurance exercises (the basics: Pushups, Situps, Pullups, Squats)

I am probably the farthest from the machines doing superhumans times on the WOD's, but my goal is to use my crossfitness to help me do the things I enjoy (MMA, Waterskiing, and any other physical activity I decide to do)

(Message edited by Mike_k on August 19, 2006)
Old 08-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
Bill,
Just do the WOD as prescribed, it is your General Physical Preparedness(GGP) tool....get out and do your surfing, hiking, skiing, etc. as your sports specific training(SST). That is the beauty of CF!...it gives you ample fitness to improve in all of your other sports. If you feel the WOD is not enough, do more surfing, hiking, skiing etc. Don't get caught training all day and turning yourself into a rag doll, to the point where you cannot do your other sports. In other words, I suggest you fill the voids with your SST! Have Fun!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #7
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I'm with Eva ... that being said, you can always reap more benefits from the WODs if you do them more intensely.

When I started doing CF I was a little reluctant and hesitant in the WODs, but as I got more acustomed to them and more confident, I simply turned the notch up, and almost instantly began noticing huge improvements.