CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Ian Holmes

Profile:
A little holiday deadlifting

Okay so I need some competition. I started dead lifting again this last week after a year of not doing them [When I was doing circus in Aus and Africa there was either no access to a gym, or little need for them]. I lost a fair bit of weight while I was working in Africa, and with that went a lot of my vertical height on my jump. So... in the spirit of redeveloping my leg strength I am back doing deads. Now before I left I could pull around 425lbs. In the past week I have gotten myself back up to 400lbs in a straight leg pull.

Now being an idiot... I want to be pulling the same weight by new years. If not more. I don't see this being a huge issue [ideally I am aiming for 500lbs, but that is going to take a little while...].

Now at 75-78kgs, somewhere between 163-170lbs, I am figuring that I am aiming for a 2.5x body weight deadlift. This isn't much. Certainly not for someone who regularly does deads. Anyways... anyone in on reaching a similar goal in the next few weeks... I will be posting weights over the course of the next few weeks. Come and play *grin*.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Re: A little holiday deadlifting

Throw me in the mix Ian. I'm finishing off a 12 week olympic lifting program (I suck much less now ) and I've been doing some deads as a "cheat meal set" once a week because I love to deadlift (I'm made for the deadlift - long arms, short torso, short legs, round back).

I have a goal in mind, and I'll let you know if I make it with my next deadlift session. Basically, for the past 8 weeks, i've been going really heavy in deads once a week, then the following week I've been going up to 315 and doing RDLs for really slow burning sets. The weights I've moved on my heavy weeks have been - 645x4 (sumo), 615x7 (sumo), 605x4 (conventional), and 585x7 (sumo). Now that I look at it, I'm going in the reverse direction. Crap.

Once a long time ago, in a different life that involved some silliness and some bad judgment, I pulled 585 for 10. I'd like to do that again, on my own snuff. Yes, I've 6 years older, but I think it might be possible.

So I'm game. Let's go heavy or go home.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Jason M Struck

Profile:

2.5 times bodyweight is not elite, but it's not anything to sneeze at either. Especially when you have other training demands, like crossfit.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
Ian Holmes

Profile:

Well Crossfit isn't my other training demand. The 20-30 hrs of rings/circus is my other demand every week. I figure that makes up for the fact that I am not pulling a 3x bodyweight dead *grin*. In reality the added weight in my legs if I could would just be irritating...

Arden: Sounds good buddy. While I have to admit it will take me a little while to match your numbers *grin*, I would love to throw numbers back and forth over the course of the next few weeks. My next day doing deads is going to be thursday or friday. Out of curiosity what proportion of body weight is that for you? You mentioned 240 somewhere else on the forums in the last couple days? That would make 2.5x bodyweight about 600lbs for you no?

Last edited by Ian Holmes : 12-19-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Jodi is going for a 2.5x body weight deadlift on Saturday, maybe she'll give you some competition.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
Ian Holmes

Profile:

Well then it looks like I will just have to go and pull the stupid weight this weekend and up the anti for New Years *grin*.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Holmes View Post
Well Crossfit isn't my other training demand. The 20-30 hrs of rings/circus is my other demand every week. I figure that makes up for the fact that I am not pulling a 3x bodyweight dead *grin*. In reality the added weight in my legs if I could would just be irritating...

Arden: Sounds good buddy. While I have to admit it will take me a little while to match your numbers *grin*, I would love to throw numbers back and forth over the course of the next few weeks. My next day doing deads is going to be thursday or friday. Out of curiosity what proportion of body weight is that for you? You mentioned 240 somewhere else on the forums in the last couple days? That would make 2.5x bodyweight about 600lbs for you no?
Ian,
I'd love to weigh 240. I'm a good biscuit over 260. I had hoped to dead on Friday, but a stomach flu side tracked that. Won't be until Sunday, I hope?

Oh, and with this stuff, it's all relative. I'd love to be able to do a muscle up or a set of 21-15-9 with HSPU - but alas, that's not in the cards, yet. Perhaps, when I get closer to the 240.

Oh, and for the record, both Jodi and Anthony are beasts.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-21-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I dunno how I'll do it, but I'll see about deadlifting next week maybe.

As a goal, I'd like to hit 1k on the CFT. To do that I'll need to do a 2.5DL I think. Right now, my grip usually fails over 300 and even with a mix, I don't get much further. My access to DL is fairly limited right now. I have to either go to a gym or a friends which all mean travel and I have no wheels. However, seeing as I'm doing jack nothing next week I might have to see about riding up to CF 4th power as that would be a good warmup.

2.5 Female DL. Ahsum, never heard of one of those yet. I'm sure it's been done and can be by a handful; but it seems pretty HC.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:21 AM   #9
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Blair, she's at 2.43 right now and it came up pretty fast. No doubt she'll hit 270 this weekend for BW x 2.52. The Canadian deadlift record for her weight class is 308 ... set in 1989. We are hoping she takes that title in 2008.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
Aaron Trent

Profile:

I'm in.
I weigh in at 130lbs.
Yesterday I pulled 235lbs x 3
235 is my former 1RM PR.
I want to pull 260 for 2xBW in the next few weeks.