CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-14-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
Chris Jones

Profile:
workout nutrition

looking to see what some of you guys are doing for pre and post workout nutrition. Ive never really used anything other than protein powder, creatine and BCAAs. Currently(for the last 6-9months or so) im just drinking coffee before workouts(sometimes with a small bowl of oatmeal or a banana if im felling sluggish), and post workout i use RESULTS mixed with 1 scoop of protein. The RESULTS has creatine and some BCAAs in it, along with carbs for post workout.

Im running out of the Results and just looking to switch up my nutrition for awhile and try something else. Im doing 5/3/1 4 days a week and 3 WODs a week for conditioning. I dont necessarily need the carbs post workout since im doing mostly strength training, so im not sure i want to keep taking them in.

I have been making good size and strength gains in the last months, but i have also been much more focused on diet and consistent heavy lifting. The goal is to keep getting slowly stronger while whittling away at some bodyfat on my stomach. Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 06-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: workout nutrition

i played around with quite a few combinations like some carbs pre workout, some store bought PWO like C4 etc.. and what i find that works best for me is just some black coffee about an hour before the workout.

as for post workout, i normally just stock to my creatine mixed with protein and i am seeing decent results. on heavy days, i try to get some post workout carbs in me like sweet potatoes or an apple.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
Chris Jones

Profile:

Snir, i have taken PreWorkouts in the past and never really felt that much from them either. Now that im working nights, i occasionally take a serving of AtLarge PreWO when im feeling sleepy after i get off work and hit the gym.

Anybody taking in protein before/after a workout? I was reading an article from a CF source(cant remember which one right off hand) that showed studies proving people built more lean muscle mass and had better recovery taking whey protein BEFORE the workout as opposed to afterwards only. So i may experiment with ~1/2 a scoop before the workout and the other half after, anybody have experience on this either way?

I know i ask a lot of questions but everything i read these days seems to contradict other things i read these days
Old 06-16-2014, 03:49 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Here is the best analysis I have ever seen on pre/post workout nutrition.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5 (WFS)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Chris Jones

Profile:

Thanks Luke, that is a straight out Darryl link right there . From what i gathered having a shake/meal before and within an hour afterwards seems to be pretty standard then, unless these meals are more than 3-4 hours apart, correct?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

To eat every few hours seems to be most optimal for muscle protein synthesis, dont forget to wake up in the middle of a night and have a protein snack also.

But is it the most healthiest way of eating? I dont believe so.

So it really depends on your goals.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:29 AM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Thanks Luke, that is a straight out Darryl link right there . From what i gathered having a shake/meal before and within an hour afterwards seems to be pretty standard then, unless these meals are more than 3-4 hours apart, correct?
Kind of. My takeaway is the anabolic window could be even 3-4 hours post workout, maybe way longer than that. I would say before and after will definitely cover you though as long as the rest if your diet is in check. If you aren't hitting the rest of your diet it won't matter.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #8
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

pre wod (1hr before): beat alanine (just for convenience), 8oz water, and 16oz coffee w/ heavy whipping cream.

post wod: 10-12oz whole milk, 1 banana, scoop general whey protein, BA, creatine. Sometimes I add 1/2 cup oats to this shake too.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I started taking either Whole Oats or Waxe Maize and a scoop of whatever random protein powder I have about 1 hour prior to working out and I definitely feel better for strength training.

Placebo or not, I physically feel more prepared to tackle the strength portions after I take the shake.

The only problem is that I also hate having stuff in my stomach while I workout, but it seems worth it, so far.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
Chris Jones

Profile:

Thanks guys, and Adam ive learned that i do better with a little carbs before strength workouts too. But when i do Metcons i dont like anything more than i have to sloshing around in there.