CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Food pairings

Some suggest that food combinations impact digestion and subsequently body composition. For example.. Eat protein only with vegetables and not with starches. Eat starch only with fruit or vegetables. This is big in the martial arts community. Some of these guys have impressive physiques. Anyone know the science behind this idea or is it bunk?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Cam Peavy

Profile:
Re: Food pairings

Bro Science. Meal pairing, as well as timing, are irrelevant.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
Bro Science. Meal pairing, as well as timing, are irrelevant.
This

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 6 characters.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #4
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

I've read mixing carbs with fats will result in storing the fat directly, because when insulin levels are raised body will do anything to first burn/store the excess blood sugar, blocking beta oxidation (a fancy term for burning fats). This is confirmed by real science, so its not some bro science.

But I personally dont care about it, as I dont eat a lot of carbs in a first place.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:04 AM   #5
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
I've read mixing carbs with fats will result in storing the fat directly, because when insulin levels are raised body will do anything to first burn/store the excess blood sugar, blocking beta oxidation (a fancy term for burning fats). This is confirmed by real science, so its not some bro science.

But I personally dont care about it, as I dont eat a lot of carbs in a first place.
It will not change anything at the end of the day depending in your total energy balance. Aka, it will not make you store any additional fat just because you ate carbs at the same time. That is bro science.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
Some suggest that food combinations impact digestion and subsequently body composition. For example.. Eat protein only with vegetables and not with starches. Eat starch only with fruit or vegetables. This is big in the martial arts community. Some of these guys have impressive physiques. Anyone know the science behind this idea or is it bunk?
I'm absolutely on board with this. There are a lot of cultural examples of food combinations that work together to get the most benefits, like rice & beans; they each make up for what the other lacks. Also some vitamins are fat soluble and must be eaten with fat in order to get the benefit, like calcium.

The trouble is that the extent to which foods work together is very difficult to study (so far as I understand it) and thus we have very little knowledge when it comes to what to eat (and with what). As far as creating a diet approach based on these food combinations, I'd be wary of any claims. But it doesn't mean that they're wrong.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Todd Neal

Profile:

I'd also say that timing can be relevant, depending on a few things. We've already discussed in another thread how your body responds differently to partition calories post-workout.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #8
Cam Peavy

Profile:

There's much more biology behind "You eat it and your body uses it for energy". Just because you eat rice and beans together at the same time, does not mean they will be digested equally and have their energy used together.

Same goes for meal timing; while although you might "feel" better eating PWO, the energy you gain from that food is not instantaneous.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
There's much more biology behind "You eat it and your body uses it for energy". Just because you eat rice and beans together at the same time, does not mean they will be digested equally and have their energy used together.
Then it's a good thing that nobody is claiming that.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
Then it's a good thing that nobody is claiming that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
I'm absolutely on board with this. There are a lot of cultural examples of food combinations that work together to get the most benefits, like rice & beans; they each make up for what the other lacks. Also some vitamins are fat soluble and must be eaten with fat in order to get the benefit, like calcium.

The trouble is that the extent to which foods work together is very difficult to study (so far as I understand it) and thus we have very little knowledge when it comes to what to eat (and with what). As far as creating a diet approach based on these food combinations, I'd be wary of any claims. But it doesn't mean that they're wrong.
Nope, no one seems to be talking about this at all.