CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-04-2014, 03:26 AM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Is this a lot if Cal?

So just out if curiosity I have been using the my fitness pal app for the past week. I'm 6'3" 214 lbs and I have averaged 3,200 calories a day. This seems like a lot??

Ps it's all from whole food sources
Old 06-04-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Is this a lot if Cal?

Are you gaining or losing weight? What is your goal?

It is all relative, I am trying to cut so yeah 3200 cals would be a lot. Maybe not so much if I was bulking or maintaining with a high TDEE.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
So just out if curiosity I have been using the my fitness pal app for the past week. I'm 6'3" 214 lbs and I have averaged 3,200 calories a day. This seems like a lot??

Ps it's all from whole food sources
that does not look like a lot to me for a healthy, active, adult male of your size. and like Luke says above - it depends on your goals. if you're trying to gain weight, then it is not nearly enough food (I try to eat over 4000 cal/day when I'm bulking - and my usual bodyweight is about 175). if I'm cutting I bring it down to about 2000 cal/day.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I have been tracking for the past month or so using the same app. I put in EVERYTHING I consume, to the best of my knowledge, to get an accurate calorie count.

I'm 6'2" and started at 200 lbs. In the last 7 weeks I set my goal to "lose 1 pound a week" and I have been right on track - 193 this morning.

If you are estimating your intake correctly and your exercise conservatively (in my opinion, one cannot burn 900 cals in an hour of zumba as I have seen those watches show), it is pretty accurate.

My calorie goal is 1,830 per day, and then add in for exercise. To me, yours seems high unless you are trying to gain weight, or unless you have a job like construction, mailman, warehouseman, etc. or workout multiple times per day.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
Phil Washlow

Profile:

What is your body composition like? There is a much different nutritional requirement for someone who's 214 with a lot of body fat and low muscle mass than there is for 214 rock solid.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
Bob Herald

Profile:

Joe , your cals seem low to me. I average 3200. And the app tells me to lose weight I need to be around 3000. I don't even plug in physical activity.

My job is not active but I train jiujitsu for an hour 4 days a week and I weight train 4 days a week.

Phil, I'm muscular, and not fat but not super lean either. I.e. I don't have a belly, but can't see my abs.