CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Inflammation and what it means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Novak View Post
Todd's answer answered my question; I still disagree with "you don't know how inflammed you are" in the GI tract, eliminating gluten, etc; if you are truly gluten sensitive or celiac, you know and have known for a long time. I think that people that eliminate gluten feel better because they eliminate lots of processed foods and eat better whole foods. I could eliminate gasoline from my life too and be healthier from all the walking I would do; but it wasn't the gasoline that caused the problems. If you eliminate bread, pasta, cereal, and carb heavy snack foods, you lose weight and feel better.
spot on.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Todd's answer answered my question; I still disagree with "you don't know how inflammed you are" in the GI tract, eliminating gluten, etc; if you are truly gluten sensitive or celiac, you know and have known for a long time. I think that people that eliminate gluten feel better because they eliminate lots of processed foods and eat better whole foods. I could eliminate gasoline from my life too and be healthier from all the walking I would do; but it wasn't the gasoline that caused the problems. If you eliminate bread, pasta, cereal, and carb heavy snack foods, you lose weight and feel better.
If you eliminate them and don't compensate with other caloric sources then you might lose weight. That could be said about any food source that makes up a sizable amount of your diet. Feel better? If you are gluten intolerant then yeah. If you have no sensitivities to them then I am not sure how eliminating bread will make you feel better.

Context is very important, labeling one thing as bad is a very narrow minded approach.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Joe Novak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
If you eliminate them and don't compensate with other caloric sources then you might lose weight. That could be said about any food source that makes up a sizable amount of your diet. Feel better? If you are gluten intolerant then yeah. If you have no sensitivities to them then I am not sure how eliminating bread will make you feel better.

Context is very important, labeling one thing as bad is a very narrow minded approach.
My point exactly. For most Americans, we get tons of our calories from carbs; by eliminating them, it becomes hard to make up the calorie deficit. I wasn't talking about bread so much as people eliminating all of the carb heavy stuff they graze on...the cheez-its and pretzels and chips...If you pig out on those, you don't feel as good as you do when you replace it with whole vegetables, etc.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
My point exactly. For most Americans, we get tons of our calories from carbs; by eliminating them, it becomes hard to make up the calorie deficit. I wasn't talking about bread so much as people eliminating all of the carb heavy stuff they graze on...the cheez-its and pretzels and chips...If you pig out on those, you don't feel as good as you do when you replace it with whole vegetables, etc.
Gotcha, I am definitely on board with that.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
Jose Soriano

Profile:
Red face Re: Inflammation and what it means

Quote:
For the most part I agree with you, but it's also true that people have varying reaction levels to different substances, and different levels of sensitivity. Turns out, I'm lactose intolerant, but I didn't know that for a long time. I felt kinda cruddy after milk, but rarely drank it anyway, and cheese had almost no effect on me. Cream destroys my insides, which I also had rarely. It's weird, but I never put 2 and 2 together until my mid-late 20s, and when I paid attention to what happened after cheese, I realized that it was still happening just not nearly to the same extent. I have a friend who can't handle tomatoes because of the acidity, but she never realized it until later too, now she avoids them. You're assuming that every reaction is going to be a gut-punch, but that's not necessarily the case, and yes, for most people with celiac disease who can't handle gluten, they'll know, but just because you don't have it, doesn't mean it isn't affecting you (don't get me wrong, I think most people who eat gluten free are full of it, but that's another issue). If it was truly that simple, most allergic reactions or whatever would have been figured out a long time ago, and I wouldn't have spent the majority of my life thinking I had seasonal allergies and hoped up on meds when it was actually dust mites.

That aside, the lowering of crappy food DOES probably play a huge role in their improved feelings, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is hyper-aware of exactly the level of inflammation they currently have in their intestinal tract, gluten or not - again, if that were the case, there really wouldn't be as many emergency room visits as there currently are.

I just disagree with your disagreement.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #16
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Inflammation - what it means. (wfs)
Old 05-25-2014, 01:12 AM   #17
Alastair Bland

Profile:

I've thought lots about inflammation as I have been dealing with a stubborn shoulder injury (frayed subscapularis) for a year now. Almost every time I try and work out, my shoulder flares up, so I quit and wait and ice it until it settles down. I'm confused, though, because I hear frequently that for tendons in the RC you WANT some inflammation--that inflammation is what brings blood (and relief) to the otherwise almost blood-less area. If I could be confident that feeling my shoulder start to turn warm and tight was a good thing, then I'd move forward with my (hopeful) recovery. But I'm not confident that the inflammation I feel is good or any sign of progress, so I remain stuck in this stage of inability to work out.

Circling back to where I started, I am not sure what inflammation always means, and what types of inflammation there are, and if any are necessarily a good thing at times.

Suggestions? Advice? Experience?
Old 05-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #18
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Bland View Post
I've thought lots about inflammation as I have been dealing with a stubborn shoulder injury (frayed subscapularis) for a year now. Almost every time I try and work out, my shoulder flares up, so I quit and wait and ice it until it settles down. I'm confused, though, because I hear frequently that for tendons in the RC you WANT some inflammation--that inflammation is what brings blood (and relief) to the otherwise almost blood-less area. If I could be confident that feeling my shoulder start to turn warm and tight was a good thing, then I'd move forward with my (hopeful) recovery. But I'm not confident that the inflammation I feel is good or any sign of progress, so I remain stuck in this stage of inability to work out.

Circling back to where I started, I am not sure what inflammation always means, and what types of inflammation there are, and if any are necessarily a good thing at times.

Suggestions? Advice? Experience?
Inflammation is a normal reaction to stress. It is part of the body's coping process. Excessive and chronic inflammation are the problem, not normal inflammation.