CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
Todd Neal

Profile:
Re: Food pairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
Nope, no one seems to be talking about this at all.
Ok, you said that rice & beans won't be "digested equally." Nobody ever claimed that they would. I'm a huge advocate for low-carb; I'm the first one to admit that foods are digested unequally across the board. Sounds like you're just trying to argue for argument sake. Hopefully the OP is smarter than that.

Have a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_combining (wfs)
Old 05-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #12
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
Ok, you said that rice & beans won't be "digested equally." Nobody ever claimed that they would. I'm a huge advocate for low-carb; I'm the first one to admit that foods are digested unequally across the board. Sounds like you're just trying to argue for argument sake. Hopefully the OP is smarter than that.

Have a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_combining (wfs)
OP is asking if food pairing is true or if it is bro science.. You claimed it to be true, so I am arguing against it. If food pairing was true, the science behind it would be found during digestion and absorption, not just "one compliments the other". If that was the case, every food would compliment every other food because it would have something that the other doesn't.

Note to Yourself: Don't post Wiki links as credible sources.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
Todd Neal

Profile:

Pretty sure science has found that calcium is fat-soluble. If you want to absorb calcium, you have to eat fat with it. At least that's my understanding of it.

Wiki is a decent place to start; I wouldn't be so quick to discredit it. It gives people a general idea of what I'm talking about and has some sources at the bottom of the site.

[You're so black & white, Cam. I'm just trying to give OP some things to think about and look into. I'm not trying to make absolute claims about anything. Give me a break, here.]
Old 05-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #14
Bob Herald

Profile:

Thank you both for your opinions. Todd you're right, in nutrition there is no black and white. A little background on where this came

Here's a link to a friends website where he outlines his diet. His theory has to do with the body producing different enzymes to digest different foods. Take a look. Also he performs athletically at a high level.

http://www.bjjcenter.com/multimedia/...hp?ArticleID=4
Old 05-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #15
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
Thank you both for your opinions. Todd you're right, in nutrition there is no black and white. A little background on where this came

Here's a link to a friends website where he outlines his diet. His theory has to do with the body producing different enzymes to digest different foods. Take a look. Also he performs athletically at a high level.

That guy is in fantastic shape, there is no way around that but everything he discusses is complete bro science and has been debunked. Does that mean you won't see success following what he advises? Absolutely not. His diet looks like he is hitting all of his targets fine but I seriously doubt the combination of macro ingredients (or the lack thereof) is the reason for his success.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
I've read mixing carbs with fats will result in storing the fat directly, because when insulin levels are raised body will do anything to first burn/store the excess blood sugar, blocking beta oxidation (a fancy term for burning fats). This is confirmed by real science, so its not some bro science.

But I personally dont care about it, as I dont eat a lot of carbs in a first place.
I think you're forgetting there are two sides to the feed/fast cycle, and then there's the way in which energy balance affects the hierarchy of substrate oxidation and storage. So while eat carbs store (dietary) fat is true up to a point, it doesn't tell the whole story.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #17
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
Pretty sure science has found that calcium is fat-soluble. If you want to absorb calcium, you have to eat fat with it. At least that's my understanding of it.
Are you sure about that? (wfs)
Old 05-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #18
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post

As Luke said this is bro-science. Food combining, basically the Hay Diet, was thoroughly debunked a long time ago. It's just pseudoscientific nonsense.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Nope, that's why I ended with, "At least that's my understanding of it." For those that won't look at Darryl's link (everyone), it explains that calcium...

I have no idea what it explains. If you figure it out, let me know. I did check out another source though which explains that different types of calcium (carbonate, for instance) has different solubility than other types. And another source pointed to water-solubility. So nevermind about that.