CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 AM   #1
Adam Zelenay

Profile:
MEBB diet

Hi all,
Ive been doing crossfit for 5 months now, and Ive had good results. I did lose weight, but now Id like to add starting strenght to my regime and add more muscle mass, so essentily do the MEBB program (so i dont leave the crossfit out)

I've been eating relative paleo (Meat+salads, but also dairy products, legumes, essentialy just cutting the unhealthy crap out, i.e. bread, pasta...).

Now since I wanna lift more Iron and I wanna see some gains, in what way should I change my diet so that I dont necessarly gain fat but build muscle ? I was thinking eating craploads of protein and slightly more carbs than now, since I tried to cut carbs alltogether to cut. Thanks for your input
Old 05-11-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: MEBB diet

What are your current stats and lifts like?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
What are your current stats and lifts like?
This would help, but here's some general advice:

To gain weight, you're going to need to be in a caloric surplus, so you're spot on in the fact that you're going to have to eat more than usual. I'm assuming you're a natural athlete (I.E. No Juice), so you won't need anymore than 1 g protein / lb of body weight. The rest of your calories can come from fats / carbs. Because you're paleo, I'm assuming fats will take more precedence than carbs.

If you don't have any allergies / intolerences (Gluten, dairy, etc.), then you don't necessarily have to cut out carbs if you don't want to, as it won't lead to better results.

Your best results will come from counting calories. By doing this, you can control your intake so that you aren't eating too much, and limit your fat gain. If fat gain isn't too much of an issue, then by all means stuff yourself.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Adam Zelenay

Profile:

First of all, thank you for your replies.

Ill post my stats in both the metric and imperial weights, I dont know where ya'll from.

With regards to my stats, I'm 191 (87 kgs) and I'm 5'10 (183cm) tall.
I didnt really do much lifting, but the the occasional 5x5 I did these were my stats:

Back Squat: 110 (50kg)
Shoulder Press: 77 (35kg)
Dead Lift: 132 (60kgs)

Btw I was never a calorie counter, can you guys recommend any good website for monitoring calories and nutrition intake ?
Also I understand caloric surplus, but since I still want to do crossfit besides SS. If I was in caloric deficit, would that mean I would not have any muscle gains ? So for example on the day that I do crossfit, i would have to eat the extra amount that I burn?
Cheers

btw
Quote:
If fat gain isn't too much of an issue, then by all means stuff yourself.
I wish !!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

You are a rather novince when it comes to lifting then. Which means you will see big gains very fast. Start with a linear progression program and it will do you good.

By my own experience, starting like you, there is no need to go super crazy with the diet, you will gain strength easily, because at this stage it is more about CNS getting used to weights. Somewhere up to an area of 100kg squat should be doable in a few weeks.

But when you get there, thing will slowly need to change, come back then for more tips
Old 05-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Zelenay View Post
First of all, thank you for your replies.

Ill post my stats in both the metric and imperial weights, I dont know where ya'll from.

With regards to my stats, I'm 191 (87 kgs) and I'm 5'10 (183cm) tall.
I didnt really do much lifting, but the the occasional 5x5 I did these were my stats:

Back Squat: 110 (50kg)
Shoulder Press: 77 (35kg)
Dead Lift: 132 (60kgs)

Btw I was never a calorie counter, can you guys recommend any good website for monitoring calories and nutrition intake ?
Also I understand caloric surplus, but since I still want to do crossfit besides SS. If I was in caloric deficit, would that mean I would not have any muscle gains ? So for example on the day that I do crossfit, i would have to eat the extra amount that I burn?
Cheers

btw
I wish !!!!
Use something like myfitnesspal or fitday to track your cals/macros. I have used both and prefer myfitnesspal. Since you are a novice in terms of lifting you can see some muscle gain even while in a deficit, this is commonly referred to as "noob gains". However, this will subside and isn't something you should be relying on so building a strong foundation for your nutrition now will be key for down the road.

Basically the way it works is you can be below your maintenance calories, above your maintenance calories, or at your maintenance calories. When you are at maintenance you neither gain or lose weight. When you are in a caloric surplus you are above maintenance and you gain weight, in a caloric deficit you are below and lose weight. In order to build muscle you have to be in a caloric surplus (steroids and noob gains excluded). You will likely not gain 100% muscle, fat gain is part of the process but you can minimize that by not completely stuffing your face. You can get stronger in a deficit or at maintenance but it is more difficult and it is mainly your CNS adapting.

At the end of the day, figure out what your maintenance calories are, eat a couple hundred more than that, get enough protein in, and hit the weights hard and you should see some good improvement all around. When you feel satisfied with your progress and want to cut some fat just lower the calories. Saying it is simple, being disciplined and sticking to your nutrition and your lifting is the difficult part.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Adam Zelenay

Profile:

Ok i got the basics down. So on my crossfit day, i still wanna be in a caloroc surpluss, correct ?
Old 05-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Cam Peavy

Profile:

You'll want to be in a surplus everyday; you don't grow when you lift, you grow when you recover.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Adam Zelenay

Profile:

Ayght i have done my research and i think i got the basics down. The only think that might be annoying is the calorie counting, that may take time, but otherwise im curious to ser if i can make some gains and combine em with xfit. Ill keep u posted. Thanks for all of your inputs for now !
Old 05-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Zelenay View Post
Ayght i have done my research and i think i got the basics down. The only think that might be annoying is the calorie counting, that may take time, but otherwise im curious to ser if i can make some gains and combine em with xfit. Ill keep u posted. Thanks for all of your inputs for now !
It's not too big of a pain especially if you eat similar foods on a regular basis. You will also want a food scale to help you know how much you are eating. If you don't have that then you will just be guessing and will likely be quite a bit off.

And while it is certainly easier to not count your calories, getting bigger, faster, and stronger takes work and dedication. If it was easy everyone would do it.