CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Philip O'Brien

Profile:
Kinvara 2 vs Kinvara?

Hey. I'm looking at getting a new pair of runners and have read great things about the Kinvara 2. It's possible to pick up the Kinvara 1 considerably cheaper ($40) than the Kinvara 2 though so I'm wondering which to go for?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Peter Keller

Profile:
Re: Kinvara 2 vs Kinvara?

I can't speak for the Kinvara 2- but I have the Kinvara (1), and while there is minimal hell-toe drop (none?- not sure)- there is a lot of cushion in the midsole.

It's a good running shoe IMO, but not my first choice for a crossfit shoe- I am currently enamored of the NB MT101's, and I also like the Inov8 Flite 230s and the Saucony Kilkenny XCs.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Philip O'Brien

Profile:

Sorry I should have said I just want them for running. The NB minimus look good too but I think I would want the extra bit of cushioning of the kinvara.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Clint Harris

Profile:

The shoe people at the store told me the difference between kinvara and kinvara2 is the uppers only. (it's a light "minimal" mesh that's cold on the toes when <40-50* and others have said it's prone to split). My wife has used both and she loves them too, probably on her 3rd pair (both 1&2).
I can't speak the the kinvara model, but I like the kinvara2 for running in. I only run up to 3-5 miles at a time but my wife more weekly mileage and longer runs, even half marathons.
I wear them for wods like "michael" or "murph" where there is a lot of running and no lifting - I tried once to do some cleans in them but I kept sticking on the underfoot as I wasn't used to that - so I wouldn't use them for something like "Abbate" because of the lifting. For almost everything else, I use the minimus 10 trail shoe.
So further digression. Out of 30 wods, I might use my toe shoes 5 times, my kinvara's 3 times and the rest will be the minimus. But I always run in the kinvara's.
I'm going to take a look at the NB 730's too. They may be similar to the kinvara, maybe a mix between both of the shoes ... and cheaper.

Last edited by Clint Harris; 03-01-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Erik Glynn

Profile:

I do 3-4 mile runs twice a week in my kinvara 2's and they're doing an excellent job. I am planning on getting another pair to replace them when these wear out.

The toe base is nice and wide so your toes can spread like they would if you were barefoot. Also, they are incredibly light. But, they still have enough cushion that it's not uncomfortable on the long runs.

I highly recommend the kinvara 2's.

Their weight will surprise you. I wear 14's and they still weigh hardly anything.