CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
Barry Anderson

Profile:
Restarting!

Hi everyone,

Well I was happily XFitting for a while and for some reason I fell out of my routine and have now had 3 weeks of super lazyness.

I used to use machines but for the past while I've been doing the WOD's scaled down to pack and it was hard going. I was getting on pretty well, lost some weight and increased my pull ups and dips totals hugely!

Anyway, my question is about the starting strenght program. I'm considering doing this for six weeks or so before getting back to the WOD's as I feel that an increase in strength is what I need to help my WOD times.

My worry with this is that the SS program has no running in it and from what I've read I shouldn't really be supplimenting the program with any other exercises.

So, should I stick to the SS program exactly, do the program with a little running or just dive back into the WOD's?

P.S. after 3 weeks off I bet the DOMs are real bad tomorrow!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
Victor Putz

Profile:
Re: Restarting!

Most everyone will probably tell you: SS is valuable, but don't screw with the program. No subs, no supplemental exercises, nothing like that. So yeah, no additional running.

Depends on your goals, of course. SS is meant to get you through the "easy gains" of novice lifting as fast as practical, which will provide you with a good platform of strength to tackle the WODs. Yes, in a sense some metcon (running) will suffer from the time off, but on the other hand other types of metcon that rely a bit more on strength (Fran) will benefit.

I'm currently coming off a two-week holiday and easing back into SS myself...
Old 08-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
Barry Anderson

Profile:
Re: Restarting!

Well I decided to go for SS and just completed Workout A, with no running. Hopefully it will ease me back into things and get my routine started in the right direction.

I can already feel the effects of the squats and its only been two hours!

Thanks.