CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #81
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:
Re: 5 common medical procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
. Circumcison removes on the order of 10 square inches or more of skin,
10 square inches of skin? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Either put up some real scientific studies or give it a rest already. Everybody here gets it, you don't agree with circumcision. Now take a break and move on to something else already.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #82
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
10 square inches of skin? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Either put up some real scientific studies or give it a rest already. Everybody here gets it, you don't agree with circumcision. Now take a break and move on to something else already.
10 square inches.

The circumference of the penis is on the order of 5 inches. The length of the foreskin is about an inch, as it covers the whole glans. This is two layers of skin.

5"*1"*2 layers = 10 square inches.

It's simple math. And that's being conservative. It's easy to find intact pictures online that show how much skin is removed, and it's a TON.

Circumcision removes the most sensitive part of the male genitals:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...685.x/abstractYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Also, if my position on the matter is so ridiculous, it should be easy to refute. Yet no one bothers to refute what I say. Instead, the issue is dismissed without consideration.

If this were female genital mutilation there wouldn't be anyone going out of their way to defend it. Why defend male genital mutilation? Women have a foreskin/prepuce too.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #83
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:

If this were female genital mutilation there wouldn't be anyone going out of their way to defend it. Why defend male genital mutilation? Women have a foreskin/prepuce too.
Well, female genital mutilation is done in the third world parts of Egypt and such places, where they remove the entire clitoris. Allah forbid a woman get any enjoyment when they're raped then stoned to death for being raped, I guess? Foreskin isn't as big a deal because guys who have it done can still do the deed without any problems.

Or maybe it's because it's such an old practice. Like beer. I doubt that if alcohol had not been invented until tomorrow that it would be legal. But it's a part of our culture now and it's not going away, nor do I say it should. But marijuana is still a hot subject.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #84
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Well, female genital mutilation is done in the third world parts of Egypt and such places, where they remove the entire clitoris. Allah forbid a woman get any enjoyment when they're raped then stoned to death for being raped, I guess? Foreskin isn't as big a deal because guys who have it done can still do the deed without any problems.

Or maybe it's because it's such an old practice. Like beer. I doubt that if alcohol had not been invented until tomorrow that it would be legal. But it's a part of our culture now and it's not going away, nor do I say it should. But marijuana is still a hot subject.
There are many different kinds of FGM. But why is FGM bad and MGM is perfectly ok? What is fundamentally different such that it's perfectly acceptable to chop off part of man's genitals, yet it's a tragedy to cut a woman? Is any degree of female cutting acceptable?

Women can still have sex if they have been cut. Some kinds of FGM are less severe than male circumcision. Would it be ok to remove the female prepuce, the equivalent of the male foreskin? Merely being able to do the deed is not sufficient justification for unnecessary mutilation of a child's genitals. Circumcision removes the most sensitive part of the male genitalia.

The only reason we view MGM differently than FGM here is because of cultural bias. It's easier to criticize something that's part of another culture. Slave owners thought slavery was ok. Segregationists justified that. Tradition will reconcile people to any atrocity.

Our culture is sick. Any culture that subjects children to unnecessary genital mutilation is sick. And it IS going away. People are waking up in this country and are less and less willing to subject their children to this violent sexual assault. The rate of cutting is already dropping significantly, as parents wake up to unethical nature of genital mutilation. In our lifetimes, it will likely be illegal.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #85
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:

So just because it's done somewhere else that makes it wrong? Just because circumcision is tradition here makes it ok? Female genital cutting is a tradition. Who are you to criticize that tradition?

It's a complete double standard. If female genital cutting is wrong, male genital cutting is wrong, for the same reasons.

In fact, the FGM ban is unconstitutional, because it violates the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution. In other words, it's sexist.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #86
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:

Female genital mutilation was practiced in the US as well. In fact, it was only made illegal in 1997. There are American women who have had their genitals cut. Many of them never even knew they were cut. They could do the deed and feel pleasure.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #87
Brian Strump

Profile:

Find another hobby Brad! Most don't refute it because we don't give a $hit!

If I spent my life searching for violations of humans that I don't agree with, I wouldn't have time for anything that I actually want to be doing.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #88
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Quote:
10 square inches.

The circumference of the penis is on the order of 5 inches. The length of the foreskin is about an inch, as it covers the whole glans. This is two layers of skin.

5"*1"*2 layers = 10 square inches.
How many newborns have you met with a 5" penis circumference?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #89
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:

In fact, the FGM ban is unconstitutional, because it violates the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution. In other words, it's sexist.
Well now we're getting into constitutional law, which the country has been getting almost entirely wrong for the past 150 years or so.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #90
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
How many newborns have you met with a 5" penis circumference?

If so, they must be of the Haxmeier lineage.