CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Brian Bock

Profile:
Crossfit with Prosthetic Leg

I am a Level 1 trainer and have a good buddy who was in an accident about 10 months ago which left him with an above knee amputation and now a prosthetic. I've recently got him into the gym with me for some very very basic strength training, really just trying to get him up and moving around at this point.

A couple questions for the board...I remember seeing a video on the mainsite a few months ago of a guy with a prosthetic leg doing some O-lifting, but I can't find it now. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where I can find it, or anything similiar? I think it would be good motivation and inspiration for my buddy.

Also, anyone with similiar experiences that can offer some pointers on training someone in his situation? Movements that are exceptionally benificial, movements that should be avoided, scaling and modifications, etc., or just some general thoughts on your experience. Perhaps there is a previous thread on this you could point me in the direction of as well.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Crossfit with Prosthetic Leg

It would be a good idea to talk with whoever fit his prothesis and/or the company that makes it to figure out what types of activities the thing is made for. I know they make some different ones specifically for sports so that may be something to look into.

I haven't seen any theads in particular on this subject.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Brian Ipock

Profile:
Re: Crossfit with Prosthetic Leg

Brian how are you doing, thats awesome to hear. We just got done with an again faster adaptive athlete summit down at Alamo Crossfit this Weekend. We are stoked to bring functional movement to everyone.

As for working out

The Presses, Start off with the strict obviously to get him to get a good base and feel comfortable on that foot. I recommend having him stand next to a wall so falling backwards is taken out of the equation.

Push Press, Get him a little further from the wall so he can get the hip bump, and feel the wall behind him. Depending on wether he has a mechanical leg or computurized leg(C-leg, x2), he needs to become aware of the toe of his foot as it can unload the prostetic.

Squats, start of with a box jump behind him, and stack 45# plates accordingly and progress lower and lower. He can then move into back and front and overhead. It takes time, and understanding the mechanics of the leg.

As for Deadlifts, and Cleans, the box is a good safety mechanism.

I've trained with a good friend of mine for quite a while that lost his leg in Iraq, and we always experimented, some things would fail, and we'd go back to the drawing board. Our Ability is only limited by our Creativity. The Sky's the limit.

Brian Ipock

Team Again Faster, Adaptive Athlete