CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai
Member Yahya Kohgadai is offline
 
Yahya Kohgadai's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hayward  CA
Posts: 1,385
Mobility Assessments

I'm trying to think of a fairly inclusive list of tests that one could do to assess their own or another person's mobility. I've got a few for the shoulders/upper body such as:

Wall Slide Test

External Rotation Test:
Stand w/back flat against a wall, bend elbow 90 degrees and externally rotate trying to touch back of hand to wall. Raise elbows up to shoulder level, repeat.

Stand comfortably w/arms at sides and notice where palms face. If palms face outer thighs, you're OK. if palms face the front of the thighs, you've got too much external rotation..

Hold a broomstick against your back pressing it agains the back of your head and your tailbone. Try to bend forward at the hips for as far as possible while maintaining contact w/those two points..

Can anyone else think of anything else?
__________________
34/m - 5'8" - 170lbs - 18%bf
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Mobility Assessments

Overhead squat w/PVC.
Shoulder dislocates w/PVC
Front rack or front squat w/PVC or bar (PVC maybe too light)

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Yahya Kohgadai
Member Yahya Kohgadai is offline
 
Yahya Kohgadai's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hayward  CA
Posts: 1,385
Re: Mobility Assessments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Overhead squat w/PVC.
Shoulder dislocates w/PVC
Front rack or front squat w/PVC or bar (PVC maybe too light)

Katherine
Ah, that's right.. OHS.

Now, for the shoulder dislocates. The wider one would have to space their hands, the less flexible they are. I'm wondering if if there'd be a standard width (in relation to the person of course) that would be indicative of normal flexibility. Maybe the space between the hands if shoulders and elbows are bent at 90 degrees?

Thanks for the suggestions btw.
__________________
34/m - 5'8" - 170lbs - 18%bf
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: Mobility Assessments

Just to play devils advocate; how will you be able to assess whether the persons lack of mobility isn't actually a stability problem somewhere else?

Or, in say the overhead squat. What are you looking for during the assessment? Just because someone can't get below parallel or can't keep the bar from traveling forward does not necessarily mean it's a mobility problem.

If you're wanting a screening tool to assess, meaning that you see something is wrong; but don't have the knowledge, background, or license to fix it I don't see anything wrong with that. However, if you want to use that as a tool to assess and TREAT members because you've gotten a mobility cert, and watch the mobwod.com then it create legal problems for you.

I would recommend this wfs(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtyHTOLDMIM) for shoulder mobility. Measure the distance between fists, and it should be symmetrical.
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/

Last edited by Brian Strump : 08-17-2011 at 10:13 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Mobility Assessments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
Ah, that's right.. OHS.

Now, for the shoulder dislocates. The wider one would have to space their hands, the less flexible they are. I'm wondering if if there'd be a standard width (in relation to the person of course) that would be indicative of normal flexibility. Maybe the space between the hands if shoulders and elbows are bent at 90 degrees?
The correct hand width for the snatch is determined by the length of the arms: you want the bar to hang at approximately the hip crease. Good flexibility would be the ability to do a dislocate at that width.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai
Member Yahya Kohgadai is offline
 
Yahya Kohgadai's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hayward  CA
Posts: 1,385
Re: Mobility Assessments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
However, if you want to use that as a tool to assess and TREAT members because you've gotten a mobility cert, and watch the mobwod.com then it create legal problems for you.
Well that's what I've been doing for the last 5 years as a personal trainer and all I've done so far is improved people and prevented injury. Obviously I'm not claiming to "FIX IT" the way a licensed physical therapist would but for most trainers, it's in their scope of practice to treat and/or at least work around common mobility issues. I'm definitely not a phys therapist but I've got a bit more under my belt than mWod.

But the whole point of this is that I want to put some self-tests on my website just so people can see how messed up they are and how my services will be more beneficial to them.

The train of thought is something like, "Ok, I just failed miserably on the external rotation test.. maybe I should hire this guy because I want to be able to bench press and do other exercises safely."
__________________
34/m - 5'8" - 170lbs - 18%bf
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: Mobility Assessments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
Well that's what I've been doing for the last 5 years as a personal trainer and all I've done so far is improved people and prevented injury. Obviously I'm not claiming to "FIX IT" the way a licensed physical therapist would but for most trainers, it's in their scope of practice to treat and/or at least work around common mobility issues. I'm definitely not a phys therapist but I've got a bit more under my belt than mWod.

But the whole point of this is that I want to put some self-tests on my website just so people can see how messed up they are and how my services will be more beneficial to them.

The train of thought is something like, "Ok, I just failed miserably on the external rotation test.. maybe I should hire this guy because I want to be able to bench press and do other exercises safely."
All valid reasons, and I know others that do that same. Nothing wrong with that, as long as if it does not get better you have someone to refer that person to.

But the poor mobility still does not answer whether it's a result of poor mobility or stability. Take the OHS when the bar tracks forward. If you just work on mobility of the shoulder, and not look at scapular stability, you may be working on the wrong area.
My point isn't that you're doing something wrong, but the need to research those other things to give yourself and client a more complete picture.
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Yahya Kohgadai
Member Yahya Kohgadai is offline
 
Yahya Kohgadai's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hayward  CA
Posts: 1,385
Re: Mobility Assessments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
My point isn't that you're doing something wrong, but the need to research those other things to give yourself and client a more complete picture.
Good point, I'll definitely keep that in mind... the good thing is that usually when you're actually working w/them you can tell if it's a stability/strength issue. Well in most cases.

Luckily the co-op facility I'm a part of also has a physical therapist. And I can always refer them to K-Star since he's only a few miles away
__________________
34/m - 5'8" - 170lbs - 18%bf
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hip Mobility Tyson Wright Exercises 1 05-06-2010 10:38 AM
Finger mobility David J Wright Injuries 1 07-29-2009 06:41 PM
Hip Mobility James Craig Injuries 7 01-14-2009 10:28 AM
Mobility training james moore Fitness 1 12-13-2003 04:12 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.