CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I have seen some references on the board I think from Greg Everett I could be wrong (can't seem to find it)to a zone diet with carbs reduced by ¼ - 1/3 to cut bf in individuals who are doing a lighter load. I am in a situation due to injuries that my load is lighter (bw wod every other day) than ideal and was wondering if anybody could elaborate on the lighter carb zone and it application a bit more?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I can't elaborate specifically but...it makes good sense and could be done by lowering fruit intake. If all of your carb sources are from vegetables, that would do the trick and accelerate fat loss. It would be a slight problem if you were hitting the WODs full on or doing multiple workouts, due to lowered carb stores. I think the 40% number is the most malleable and individual. The best advise is to modify carb intake and see how you feel. I hope Greg follows up.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I follow a lighter carb Paleo Zone. Due to all of the vegetable bulk and my desire to not consumer vast quantities of fruit (I do throw in squash or sweet potato every couple days or so), I eat an average of 17P, 12-13C, and 2x fat. I say average because I also do Intermittent Fasting, so some days I'll have 1 big meal (such as last night when I met Ben and Michael for an evening workout) and other days I'll have 4 or 5 feedings, such as when I get up and workout early. I feel great on the lowered carb load...performance is still improving. Gotta go with Larry though...lower it and see how you feel.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I'm also moving towards lowering the carb intake, probably halving it in terms of total blocks (9 blocks CHO, 18 of PRO and 3x fat).

18 blocks, even of fruit, is too much bulk for me.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
philosophical question --
how much can you modify "zone" eating -- e.g. 18PRO 9CHO 3X FAT -- and still call it "zone" -- which is a 40:30:30 plan? Maybe it should be "block meal planning" or something else?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Fair enough Lisa. It ain't the Zone.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:48 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Lisa, I think the Zone is a great starting point and may be the key for a majority of the population. Many nutrition experts develop their programs and they, independently, fall close to Zone parameters. Once people are comfortable with the Zone, we do a lot of tweaking to get the right combo for them. 3 X fat moves away from the Zone, lowering carbs moves away from the Zone. But you have to start somewhere. Ultimately I want just enough carbs to fuel the days activity, just enough protein to sustain/grow muscle mass, good fats are "free". That "just enough" level is different for everyone (hence the block system), and I think the next level is determining what is correct for each individual, via personal experimentation. But it is impossible to lower carbs, when you do not know the amount of carbs your currently eating...the Zone gives you a base line for experimentation.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
You all are right, it's not the Zone anymore. I have found that to get people to move towards or into the Zone, full carb doses/blocks seem to be necessary and desirable. After a while, I believe the metabolism shifts enough not to need that many carbs (or very many carbs at all).

I'm still figuring out my needs--what do I change (and how much) if I go 1/2 on my carb blocks? Do I up the total blocks by one? Up the fat and protein blocks while maintaining the 1/2 carb number? Just up the fat (caloric ballast? I'll tell you when I figure it out...

I highly appreciate and value the Zone for providing a jumping-off point for fine-tuning one's diet, even if it is more arbitrary than not (or maybe it isn't).
Old 06-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Garrett-

In the Performance Menu this month, Robb recommended that for every block of carbohydrate you drop you should add 3 blocks of fat (4.5g total). That way you maintain the total number of calories.

Although I'm sure many would appreciate you tinkering with it independently and reporting your results.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Thanks for all the great info I will start experimenting