CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Red face Low back pain (sorry another one)

About a week ago I injured my lower back. I believe it was a combination of hyper extending my spine in push presses and too many deadlift days with no deload.

Started as a dull ache above my butt. I kept training )5/3/1) and Brazilian jiu-jitsu throughout the week. Did some heavy presses one day and the pain spread to my lower back but it still wasn't bad. Continued to train the next day Bjj . Then finally a set of kettlebell swings set it off. I rested one day, the next I PVC rolled stretched, and today I had a long car ride and now the pain is intense.

It hurts in the lower back and tailbone . Feels better when I stand, best when I lay down. Hurts when I sit. I have no numbness or tingly and any extremities. I was thinking it was muscular? Strain?

I can't press overhead deadlift or squat without pain. I can't take a break from training as I have a world Brazilian jiu-jitsu competition in October.

Any suggestions at all are appreciated.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Low back pain (sorry another one)

I'd say see a doc.

I *wouldn't* see a doc (knowing me), but I'd say to see one.

- Mark
Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Zach Long

Profile:

See a doc/PT/chiro you don't have time to waste with your competition coming up

in the meantime try some prone on elbows for a few minutes and see how that feels
Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

I'll give the advice I always give because it's the only advice I have: try press ups.

Press ups worked for me. Also, a McKenzie roll (or rolled towel, or other soft foam roll) was nothing short of a miracle for sitting in the car.

I don't mean to say anything, but if you're training for a world competition, don't you have a trainer or someone there to take care of you?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Bob Herald

Profile:

I've been stretching and it feels better when I do that. PVC rolling felt good at the time but hurt worse the next day. The rolled up towel is amazing for chairs. Thank you.

My sports medicine/ortho is the only one in town and he's booked for months.

We have a training camp but weight lifting is generally done on our own. It's up to the athlete whether you feel you can compete. I'm not saying its a good thing but there are a high percentage of athletes in all sports playing with jacked up spines.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pasewicz View Post
I'll give the advice I always give because it's the only advice I have: try press ups.

Press ups worked for me. Also, a McKenzie roll (or rolled towel, or other soft foam roll) was nothing short of a miracle for sitting in the car.

I don't mean to say anything, but if you're training for a world competition, don't you have a trainer or someone there to take care of you?
How do the press ups help? And how often are they done?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
How do the press ups help? And how often are they done?
The name might be misleading. It's like a cobra pose. Like a pushup but when you push up on your arms you keep your legs flat on the floor, press your pelvis into the floor, breath out, relax your posterior chain.

The idea is that the disc is bulging to the back/posterior where it is pressing on nerves, and by bending your spine backward you are squeezing the disc frontward and into place. The disc was described to me as being like a jelly doughnut, and you want to squeeze the jelly back into place. Alternatively, there is the idea that eventually the bulge/hernia might dry up, shrink, shrivel, and stop causing problems.

In the beginning I would do between 100 and 200 per day, throughout the day in sets of ten, including first thing out of bed in the morning and last thing before getting in bed at night. Now I do them during exercise, working sets of ten into whatever routine. If I skip a few days, or do a lot of bending over/yard work/etc., the pain starts to creep in again.

The PT told me to not bend forward--no toe touching, no hurdlers stretch, no hamstring stretch--because those push the disc in the wrong direction. The advice surprised my regular MD but he went with it.

And you have to focus on not bending forward at the waist in everyday life, whether you're brushing your teeth, tying your shoe, etc.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

One thing to add:

Symptoms appeared about a year ago, and I've been pain free for about the past week. Totally pain free--although everything was fine up until now, there was occasional flare up, pain settled in at about 1 out of 10. Now it's at zero.

The moral of the story is: when they say it can take a year or longer to go away, they're right.

That being said, I expect it to come back at any time.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

A word of caution on the press-ups. If you are extension intolerant for some reason (e.g. spondylolysis, spondylolisthesis, etc.) then press-ups can exacerbate the problem. If you feel additional pain from doing these then you don't want to keep doing them. Ideally you should see a doc, PT, chiro, etc. and identify the likely source of the issue before determining treatment approach. Also take a look at Stu McGill's stuff. He's a guru on spine issues.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Sherwood View Post
A word of caution on the press-ups. If you are extension intolerant for some reason (e.g. spondylolysis, spondylolisthesis, etc.) then press-ups can exacerbate the problem. If you feel additional pain from doing these then you don't want to keep doing them. Ideally you should see a doc, PT, chiro, etc. and identify the likely source of the issue before determining treatment approach. Also take a look at Stu McGill's stuff. He's a guru on spine issues.
Yes. I should add the disclaimer that pressups worked for me in the case of an affirmative MRI that showed hernias and were prescribed under the direction of a PT.