CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Elliott Williams

Profile:
measuring blood glucose level

Hey, a friend of mine is developing a device that measures blood glucose levels, heart rate, and blood oxygen level. I thought it would be a great idea to measure those things without using a finger prick but I'm not quite sure I know why I think it's a good idea. I used to do zone, so this could tell me how "in the zone" a particular meal is, but does it really have that limited of application or am i just not that creative or caring?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: measuring blood glucose level

One word: diabetes.

Diabetics need to measure their glucose levels several times per day. The finger prick method creates hazardous waste (the lancet, blood) and uses expensive consumables (the test strips). Plus sticking yourself in the finger isn't much fun.

Even if the device were too pricy for home use, it would still be valuable for doctors and nurses (including visiting nurses). They already have a finger-clamp device to measure heart rate and blood oxygen, but adding a glucose measurement would give them key information without needing to take a blood sample.

Katherine
Old 04-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

A way to measure blood sugar without a direct blood sample would be freaking fantastic. So far there is only the finger stick method and more recently a "permanent" subcutaneous sensor that gives real-time blood sugar data, but is even more expensive, still means sticking yourself every 3 days or so, and means wearing a small box on your body at all times.

The benefits to quality of life for diabetics (especially type I diabetics) of such a device are huge. Not to mention the research applications.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Elliott Williams

Profile:

So there is a sensor on the market for reading blood sugar level, it just doesn't have the precision as a prick, and so i'm trying to think of how a CFer would use something like this, mainly because i'm a CFer.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Williams View Post
So there is a sensor on the market for reading blood sugar level, it just doesn't have the precision as a prick, and so i'm trying to think of how a CFer would use something like this, mainly because i'm a CFer.
IMO, there's no point in monitoring your glucose unless you're diabetic. Yes, it will fluctuate depending on what you eat, but who cares? A healthy pancreas can compensate just fine.

Katherine
Old 04-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Ryan Earle

Profile:

http://talktomejohnnie.com/aggressiv...is-bad-for-you - worksafe

Quote:
Sugar has always scared me. In the last 3 years, gluten has scared me more. In 1999, I had a doctor friend who told me if I wanted to stay lean, I should get a blood glucose meter and check my blood sugar levels 1-2 hours post meal. He told me if I could keep my BS under 80 mg/dl, I would never pack on an ounce of fat. I was able to do it pretty easily as long as I stuck to certain foods. Recently, I went back to the blood glucose meter and I find it impossible to stay under 80 mg/dl if I eat sugar, sucrose or HFCS, any gluten or dairy products.

We know a diet that controls bloods sugar and keeping it low will help us stay clear of diabetes. Since obesity, diabetes and cancer are all linked it might make for a good practice to keep blood sugar in check and train your *** of to stay lean. -- John Welbourn
Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Elliott Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Earle View Post
Thanks for that. Seems like if it were available people might be into it. at least people trying to lose weight.