CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
Ryan Ransom

Profile:
nitrate occurring "naturally"

I was buying some nitrate free bacon for the first time earlier in the week and had a question. I was comparing two packages that both claimed to be nitrate free. There were about the same price but one had 4 oz more. Obviously, that's the one I would want to go with. They had essentially the exact same ingredients as well. However, the one that had more meat had an asterix by the nitrate free claim that told me that it was nitrate free except for what was found naturally in the seasoning. Can sodium nitrate "occur naturally?" The other one said nothing about nitrate in the seasoning which seems to me to make it the better choice (and that's the one I bought). However, if nitrate can occur naturally I would rather get more bacon for the same price. What do you all think?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
Ray Ambury

Profile:
Re: nitrate occurring "naturally"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ransom View Post
I was buying some nitrate free bacon for the first time earlier in the week and had a question. I was comparing two packages that both claimed to be nitrate free. There were about the same price but one had 4 oz more. Obviously, that's the one I would want to go with. They had essentially the exact same ingredients as well. However, the one that had more meat had an asterix by the nitrate free claim that told me that it was nitrate free except for what was found naturally in the seasoning. Can sodium nitrate "occur naturally?" The other one said nothing about nitrate in the seasoning which seems to me to make it the better choice (and that's the one I bought). However, if nitrate can occur naturally I would rather get more bacon for the same price. What do you all think?
I'd start by reading this: Marks Daily Apple [WFS]

Simple answer to your question is, yes, sodium nitrate can occur naturally. The real answer is more complex but the linked article is a good, simple introduction.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Ryan Ransom

Profile:
Re: nitrate occurring "naturally"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ambury View Post
I'd start by reading this: Marks Daily Apple [WFS]

Simple answer to your question is, yes, sodium nitrate can occur naturally. The real answer is more complex but the linked article is a good, simple introduction.
Thanks! The one that said it had it naturally in the seasoning had almost the same ingredients as the other so it seems, from this article, that I'm good to buy the one that gets me more for the same price. Awesome! Just need to make sure I don't over cook it