CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Joey Shannon

Profile:
Wife's 1st BW crossfit workout

Today my wife started crossfit with me.YAY! We did one of the BW exercises off of the list and I scaled it down for her a little.

50 Jumping Jacks
20 pushups
20 tuck jumps
25 sit ups
100 Mountain Climbers (50 each leg)
25 air squats
50 jumping jacks

The workout was tough for her but she pulled through it like a champ,thought she was going to chunk but kept going instead of quiting. I am proud of her. On top of this she started the Zone with me. So far so good!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Emily Maisannes

Profile:
Re: Wife's 1st BW crossfit workout

That's awesome! It is so wonderful when your SO works out with you. Congrats to her for taking the first steps and taking on your quest for a longer and more productive life.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Joey Shannon

Profile:
Talking Re: Wife's 1st BW crossfit workout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Maisannes View Post

That's awesome! It is so wonderful when your SO works out with you. Congrats to her for taking the first steps and taking on your quest for a longer and more productive life.
Hopefully she'll stick to it on the days when I'm away at the fire station. She says she is sore already from the workout, but we are going to do some more stretching later to ease the pain. So far the Zone is not hard at all for me. It's funny since I am measuring everything and my wife is like that's it or how am I going to eat all that. Haha! Funny too cause she is trying to work everything out so she can have her milk, she just has to have it.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Milk isn't a bad thing. 8 oz of whole milk makes a good 1 block snack, IIRC.

As far as the soreness goes, that goes away quickly. I hit it HARD starting from being completely deconditioned, and my soreness only lasted about 2 months. I'll get stiff every now and then, but not like it was in the beginning! Tell her just to hang in there and it just means that her body is going to be eating up her fat stores to repair that muscle damage.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Congratulations to you both! Make sure to offer an occassional massage for those sore muscles and she'll have yet another reason to stick with it!

My boyfriend and I have a pact to always push the other to workout, especially when one of us doesn't feel like it. We even do it now, though we are thousands of miles apart. But, it really came in handy at home because working out kept us in good moods all the time, and if we were both feeling sore, we'd just go for a long walk together.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Susan Penner

Profile:

Hi. I'd like to start CF as well and have been browsing the message boards but am getting a little confused. Who should start with WOD? What is BW? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Mike Romo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Penner View Post
Hi. I'd like to start CF as well and have been browsing the message boards but am getting a little confused. Who should start with WOD? What is BW? Thanks!
Welcome to CF.

Your first place to go is the Getting Started section of the main site.

Then the FAQs.

Grab a snack and make some time to sit and read, you won't want to stop until you've read it all--it's great info and exactly what all newcomers need.

BW is Bodyweight.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
Joey Shannon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Penner View Post
Anyone can do the WOD. But some may be difficult for someone starting out to do. But if you go to the main page and go on the left side of the page, go to start here it will then dropdown out to the side. Click on the Brandx crossfit for each WOD the workouts are scaled down for the beginners all the way up to the big dawgs.

What I have had my wife to do is do the comprehensive BW(body weight) workouts that I found on the boards. Just search Comprehensive Bodyweight workout list. I suggest starting there first, the only equipment you really need for these workouts is a pullup bar.

BW stands for bodyweight.

NOTE: If you go to the message board, go down to workout of the day. The comprehensive workouts I was talking about is highlighted in blue.

Last edited by Joey Shannon; 01-14-2009 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: add on