CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Why isn't there one? I think with all the members here, we could have a great resource up in no time. Who would we need to ask to get one started? I wouldn't want to be accused of stealing the CrossFit name.

From looking around on some sites, one could easily be started here, with hosting costs paid by Google Ads: http://www.elwiki.com/ (Safe.)
If one of the CrossFit.com Admins register the Wiki, they could even make it's URL www.wiki.crossfit.com.

Just an idea, but a nice one, don't you think? :whistling:
Old 07-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Robert Olajos

Profile:
There was one, but it got pulled down by the powers-that-be at Wikipedia. They felt it more of an advertisement for a private business than an encyclopedia entry. Having read the old entry, I'd agree that someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of CF might have read it that way. It was discussed here, and the general consensus was, "Who cares?" You should find that thread through a search.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Robert, I think Patrick is suggesting a wiki devoted to CF rather than a CF entry in Wikipedia.

I run a wiki for my workplace division Patrick...it's a lot more labor-intensive than you think. And I suspect given the strong pro/anti feelings inspired by CF that the person tasked with moderating/administering that wiki would be pretty busy. It may just be more difficult than it's worth, particularly given the already near-wiki nature of the message board.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Matt
Yes, that is what I was talking about.

Is it really difficult though? I would think the only problem would be jerks trying to mess with the articles, but I don't think there'd be many occurrences like that, seeing as how the people here actually act like decent people. (I'm still amazed that such a thing can happen on the internet.)
Old 07-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Patrick, the problem is that all it takes is one yahoo with too much free time to tie up all the waking hours of the poor SOB(s) in charge of the wiki. I suppose there might be ways around it...requiring registration to edit, holding edits for approval, etc. but those all sort of defeat the free/open nature of a wiki. Plus, as I wrote before, the message board here is already pretty wiki-like.

I think it's a neat concept, the one I started and run for my guys is really awesome (if I do say so myself), but there are some cons that can't be ignored.

It should also be recognized that I'm just theorizing here...the CF folks may have plans in mind that I don't know about, or feel an entirely different way.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Well, requiring registration doesn't make it any less free. Anyone can use it, you just can't say stupid things and expect to use it again. :-) There's no point to messing around with articles on any Wiki, so stopping people from doing that is not really restricting them.

It may even be possible to make the forum accounts and Wiki accounts the same.

The message boards are full of a lot of great discussion on topics, but sometimes plain information is preferred, especially when the articles list the references and any related sites. Also, a Wiki makes it easier to link related topics to each other for a wider view of the information.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
Mike Gray

Profile:
BTW, there is now an article up on the Wikipedia. Did one of you guys write it?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Ok, I've been outed as techno-ignorant. Now I've got to go to my friend Google to find out what a 'wiki' is. :happy:
Old 02-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Wiki...?

...bump...

(get this ball rolling)
Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Wiki...?

I had completely forgotten about this idea. This would definitely allow the user input and contributions that so many people want to give. Thanks for bringing this up again, Tim.

Now to find a host and email CFHQ about it...